Home Off Topic

A good ending?

2»

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,451 AG
    edited October 2018 #32
    What if he didn't shoot a cop?  And the gun was not on him but was planted? 

i took the time to read several news reports since i posted, You have read none as of your post since you echoed a mistake I made.

But first the shooting of the officer. The cop approached a suspicious car with up to four people in it, He was shot approaching it. Cops arrested one of the people in the car. There were witnesses to the event. that is all I could get from the news I read. From what was available, it appears Maynard shot the cop. He also ran and avoided police. The other suspect ran but gave up when confronted. Cops are still looking for anyone else involved.

Second about not have a gun. Maynard did not have a gun. Police approached a shed he was hiding in and ordered him out, He did not respond, cops went in and found suspect in back of the shed. More verbal commands and Maynard was tasered. the cops were about 5 to 6 feet away. After the Taser did not work, Maynard pulled out a lawn mower blade from behind his back that was in his hand. At that point one officer shot him. 

I doubt they "planted" a lawnmower blade on the guy. 

I am fine with the guy being shot. I know you will disagree and that is your opinion. The guy pulled a weapon on the cops after being tasered and warned. It also appears there was at least one witness to the shooting if not a couple of others. 

Apparently the police searched the home of Maynard's family on Monday trying to find him. They shot Maynard on Tuesday, they accused him of killing a cop on Saturday. 

The family has not said one word about Maynard being innocent or falsely accused. Even most bad guys get their family to defend them. I would bet, if there was any chance Maynard had not shot the cop, his family would have a lawyer by now and the press would be all over it with reports. It appears not even his family think he was innocent. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,012 AG
    edited October 2018 #33
    What if the lawnmower blade was not in his hand and the shot wasn't good.

How would we know?

As much as I agree with you Cad, that you doubt it and the family isn't responding in the press is not really a solid foundation of an argument.  Nor is a blue sided account of the events.

Listen, I'm all for taking the words of cops, particularly in the face of a cop killer, but one has to ask.  It would be naive not to believe the motivation to kill the guy in the shed was strong -- anyone would feel that way if one of their coworkers were killed, much less a police officer. 

As much as what you say is likely the case, the question Mr. Ichardson asks is a fair question, and one that should be investigated thoroughly and independently -- as should always be done when someone is killed no matter if the kill is a "good" one or a "bad" one.

Multiple lives have been lost, the evidence gathered and the truth sought, and justice should be served.

Hopefully it will all end up as a "good" use of force and in retrospect that series of events will reach the end of that vicious circle of violence Maynard apparently started.  
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,451 AG
    Do you not think they will investigate this?

I stand by my opinion

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,012 AG
    edited October 2018 #35
    Yes, I do, and if there's a difference between us, it's that I'd prefer to form an opinion after the investigation.  

FWIW, I think your position is a fair one and you're certainly entitled to hold your own opinion, as does Mr. Ichardson, whose question I thought was equally fair (if a bit misguided in the details).