Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Be safe...even fishing from shore

Replies

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,547 Captain
     wonder what happened and why they were in the water far enough to get caught up in the current.. I am sure you could see it moving...  so sad to hear this...
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,521 Admiral
    I go across that bridge alot, and always comment on the people swimming in the Ft George river there.

Both at Alamacani  side and the north side where that city parking is.....I've always been scared for those kids that people let swim in that area.....just feet away from currents that even a good swimmer would have trouble in.....

Even out on Talbot island .....that channel runs north and east right up along the breakers, and the currents there can sweep you out.....I see kids there because there's a  large sand bar past the channel, ...and the ones watching the kids are way up in the sand laying around.....no way to reach any kid in trouble in time.

sad indeed.
  • LunaseaLunasea Posts: 136 Deckhand
    solution might be when wade fishing wear an inflatable PFD.
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    edited October 2018 #5
    Or just swim perpindicular to the current until you are out of it?  I've been out at Ft George and tried to swim against, or just hold position in the current and that is basically impossible.  If you panic and try to fight it there's no chance.