Teaser birds

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,058 Officer
Curious on what others are using in regards to teaser birds.  I have a single bird in dolphin colors that I run in the shot gun position.  I was thinking about trying a three bird chain that has smaller birds usually in one color ie. green.  The single I run is bigger but not huge.  Interested in opinions.   Thanks 

Replies

• SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 156 Deckhand
    I run a few lines with 3 or 4 all the same color spaced about 10" apart with a different color skirted ballyhoo sitting about 36" behind. It is a prey - preditor kind of setup. Everything always goes after the trailing hoo. Makes a bunch of noise and attracts alot if attention. We have watched dolfin come into the spread and race past other baits to get to the bird -- hoo lines.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    We will use them on our short lines ,but
     center rigger is just Ballyhoo.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,200 Officer
    I always use birds or bird on all the long lines. The more the better. A way long bird always gets hit first. I like how I can see where my lines are at when trying to run close to floating debris or weedlines without getting tangled.  Ive had good luck on tuna with a single bird followed by feather chain right in motor wash.
  • JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 221 Deckhand
    I bought some super cheap Chinese small squid chains on Ebay and have run in front of a mahi lure.   I've hooked multiple mahi and tuna on it at the same time, which is a very strange fight with tuna diving and mahi trying to jump, but got them in and then re-rigged with stronger line and better hooks. 

I'd recommend hooks in teasers if back by bait vs birds with no hooks.  also, a nightmare rig in scattered weed but good around bait schools or clean weed lines. 
    Jupiter 29FS
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,058 Officer
    JWPB:  Yeah that must be an interesting fight with a tuna and a mahi at the same time.  I'm definitely going to start running some teasers.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 985 Officer

I like the small moldcraft birds.  Mine are rigged with a snap in place of a hook so I can put my other lures behind them.  I have read where an outspoken, but good fisherman/author stated that such an approach puts the lure too far behind the bird - he advocated for no more than 3' between lure and bird.  I have had a sailfish hit the bird rather than the hook bait behind.

As mentioned they can help you keep track of where long lines are.  They can help spark up a pattern on days with very flat seas.  Some people see them only as something to use when targeting tuna.  I see them as more useful than that.

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer
    edited December 2018 #8
    My DIY teasers work well on blackfin, mahi, bonito... Get the Dollar Tree girls pink pom poms spaced with large swivels about 3 feet apart. and a feather or small squid 6' back. I run both a port and a starboard Out-Rover 150' back because of my boats' narrow 6.5' beam. Additionally, a couple planers of different sizes down the middle rarely get tangled! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Hey I like the DIY teasers....I might give it a try.   Thanks
    How do they hold up?   Do they last more than one use?
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Nice. Thanks for the tip. Good catch.
    edited November 2018 #12
    Garysmo I use 60# fluro between pom poms with LARGE swivels inside them...(you may want to trim the skirts)...then 40# fluro to the business end....never broke one yet! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

CoastalCatch......I bought some so I'm going to make a couple of sets and see how they go.  I'll let you know.   
  • Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 116 Deckhand
    Yep, I like that idea, just might have to try that one 
    Garysmo I use 60# fluro between pom poms with LARGE swivels inside them...(you may want to trim the skirts)...then 40# fluro to the business end....never broke one yet! 

Have to let you know....I made 2 sets and used them today for the first time.   My first three fish for the day were on them!!!   Got a mahi, BFT and a bonita.   I did notice that the silver strains all came off as the day went on.  The color ones are stayed on....I made a blue and a pink.   Thanks for the advice :)
    edited December 2018 #16
    Garysmo said:

Have to let you know....I made 2 sets and used them today for the first time.   My first three fish for the day were on them!!!   Got a mahi, BFT and a bonita.   I did notice that the silver strains all came off as the day went on.  The color ones are stayed on....I made a blue and a pink.   Thanks for the advice :)

What fish hit the blue? Most of mine were on pink.

A mahi hit the blue.   I went out again today and the first fish hit the pink.....A big cuda.    Nothing on the blue and it was the only pink fish for the day.   I fished them without the silver stuff but I'm thinking of making another brand new one and then fish the same color....new and old and see what happens.   Bottomline, they seem to work......
    edited December 2018 #18
    Thanks Gary,...at that price they're cheap by the dozen! ;)

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,200 Officer
    Im trying to figure out how to make birds out of them. I guess ill need to get a few.
    Barrell said:
    Im trying to figure out how to make birds out of them. I guess ill need to get a few.
    I'll send you some pictures/video.  I'm actually making a two more sets.  Another buddy asked about them as well.  I've got to run now but I'll get you some pics, etc.  later
    Garysmo said:
    Barrell said:
    I'll send you some pictures/video.  I'm actually making a two more sets.  Another buddy asked about them as well.  I've got to run now but I'll get you some pics, etc.  later
    Gary please post pics/vids here so all can benefit...I would if I could! 

Drill a hole in the top of each pom pom so you can slide a piece mono leader through them.  Start with a 3 ft piece of 150lb mono and crimp a loop in the end.    Slide the first pom pom on the leader.  Then put a 1/8oz sinker on the leader and crimp a barrel swivel on.  Now take the 2nd piece of 3ft leader and crimp it on the other end of the barrel swivel.  Slide the second pom pom on followed by a rigging bead.  Now crimp on a snap swivel......Now go catch some fish.   Here's a few pictures.  I had a video but having problems posting it.
    Garysmo said:
    Drill a hole in the top of each pom pom so you can slide a piece mono leader through them.  Start with a 3 ft piece of 150lb mono and crimp a loop in the end.    Slide the first pom pom on the leader.  Then put a 1/8oz sinker on the leader and crimp a barrel swivel on.  Now take the 2nd piece of 3ft leader and crimp it on the other end of the barrel swivel.  Slide the second pom pom on followed by a rigging bead.  Now crimp on a snap swivel......Now go catch some fish.   Here's a few pictures.  I had a video but having problems posting it.
    EXCELLENT...thanks a heap Gary! :)

These are all fun ideas but fall apart when trolling at speed.    I love these tormenter rigged birds.   I have broken 1 and lost 1 over the years but they work much better than other birds I've tried and are only $8 rigged and ready for you to add the lure of your choice. 

I prefer this setup over other birds with a lure crimped inline so you cant swap out. 

Jupiter 29FS
    I have no affiliation with tormenter, just saw them at Ft Lauderdale boat show a few years ago and  gave them a try.   I bought a $5 white bird this year from another vendor and don't like it as much, nor have I caught as many fish on it. 
    Jupiter 29FS
    JWPB said:
    I have no affiliation with tormenter, just saw them at Ft Lauderdale boat show a few years ago and  gave them a try.   I bought a $5 white bird this year from another vendor and don't like it as much, nor have I caught as many fish on it. 
    Yes, there are all sorts of store-bought teasers available at all kinds of prices, but the satisfaction I got from catchich a 15 lb. blackfin on my homemade $1 version is PRICELESS! ;)