Questions...

fysherfysher Posts: 36 Greenhorn
Hello all,
i am looking to replace my wife’s stolen Tarpon 100. We are thinking of moving to a pedal kayak. We enjoy big water like bays as well as flats fishing and lake fishing. Mostly spinning tackle and some fly gear. I am concerned about pedal mechanism and fly line tangling! Also looked at Bote... it looks like a neat option. I like the light weight. It should work well for my wife. She weighs 115. My lard butt would probably not work at 250. 

Anyway, thanks for any experiences and comments you care to share. 

Replies

• fysherfysher Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    I forgot to add that I now fish from old town predator. I like it a lot but in my old age I think a pedal would help. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,847 Captain
    Feet are stronger than arms.  Peddle kayaks cost more, but are easier to go most places.  Most the fly fishing yakers I know use paddle yaks.  Maybe take the peddle mechanism out when you arrive at your fly fishing area.  Good luck with your choice.

• kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 538 Officer
    Just bring a towel or blanket and put over the peddles.  It'll form a well right at your feet for the fly line.  Wet the towel first and it will stick to everything.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    fysher said:
    Hello all,
    i am looking to replace my wife’s stolen Tarpon 100. We are thinking of moving to a pedal kayak. We enjoy big water like bays as well as flats fishing and lake fishing. Mostly spinning tackle and some fly gear. I am concerned about pedal mechanism and fly line tangling! Also looked at Bote... it looks like a neat option. I like the light weight. It should work well for my wife. She weighs 115. My lard butt would probably not work at 250. 

Anyway, thanks for any experiences and comments you care to share. 
    For your wife, I would recommend the Hobie Sport. It's the equivalent of a baby Outback. Lightest mirage drive kayak, very capable and similar size as the Tarpon 100 ( its actually shorter, at 9' 7").
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • ljkljk Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    myself and 2other people from the Sanibel fly fishers do alot of fishing from Hobie Pro Angler 12s.  We love them!