Florocarbon leader

dnaberdnaber Posts: 309 Deckhand
Setting up an inshore rod/reel and using 20# PP and wanted to add a small lengh of florocarbon leader. How long should it be and what knot do you use to attach it to the main line. My targetted fish will be Flounder, Trout and Reds. Thanks
Don Naber
USAF (Retired)
Middleburg, FL.
God Bless America, And All That Serve This Great Nation

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,843 Captain
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I go arms 3/4 length, just pull it a comfortable distance and use uni to uni.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,157 Admiral
    If your guides are micro then you will have to make it short enough to stay outside the top and still be cast effective. I try and use a little longer one so if it gets chaffed all you do is cut and re tie. Otherwise you have to do the whole enchalada over aging on the water. I use spider hitch to double braid and albright with 3 turn uni lock to keep from slipping. Goes thru regular guides far better than a uni to uni.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    I start with about 4 to 5 ft. You'll have to trim small sections off during the day due to abrasion. So, one leader usually lasts a whole day. I don't know the name of the knot (I think it's a surgeon's knot) but I can describe it.
    1. lay the main line and the leader next to each other
    2. over-lap them about 8"
    3. then, tie three loose overhand knots
    4. wet the knot and pull it down from both ends
    This is the only knot I've ever used. I use 10#, 20# and 100# Power Pro. It's very fast and simple.
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    I start with about 4 to 5 ft. You'll have to trim small sections off during the day due to abrasion. So, one leader usually lasts a whole day. I don't know the name of the knot (I think it's a surgeon's knot) but I can describe it.
    1. lay the main line and the leader next to each other
    2. over-lap them about 8"
    3. then, tie three loose overhand knots
    4. wet the knot and pull it down from both ends
    This is the only knot I've ever used. I use 10#, 20# and 100# Power Pro. It's very fast and simple.

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.netknots.com/html/surgeons_knot.html

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    I usually start with 4ft.
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Spineyman wrote: »
    If your guides are micro then you will have to make it short enough to stay outside the top and still be cast effective. I try and use a little longer one so if it gets chaffed all you do is cut and re tie. Otherwise you have to do the whole enchalada over aging on the water. I use spider hitch to double braid and albright with 3 turn uni lock to keep from slipping. Goes thru regular guides far better than a uni to uni.

:Agree X 2

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    I start with 2' or so and tie a uni to uni to my main line. Goes through my micro guide spinning rods just fine.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    4ft in case of cut offs you still got extra.. I go with the albright knot for line to line
  • DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    3 foot leader with a 21 turn allbright special with 2 half hitch locks to keep the braid from slipping through.
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • Anonymous2Anonymous2 Posts: 1,964 Officer
    For clarification, do you double the braid?

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I think somone who follows the MBC forum found it there and "re-purposed" it for sebile. Not sure who originated it, but from several guides I know in the Naples area, they have been using it for over 15 years. Rgardless, it works, tests out better than uni-uni, is easy to tie and runs through the guides like butter.
    I agree, it is just a little challenging to tie on a rocking boat. Or at least for me, I just guess I am challenged..

• Captain EasyCaptain Easy Posts: 149 Deckhand
    I use a uni to uni knot, but be sure to double the braid first with either a bimini or spider hitch. I usually use a spider hitch as it's easier and I've never noticed a differance in performance when compared to a bimini when tied on braid. Doubleing the braid will help make up for the small diamater of the braid when you cinch the uni knots together. I use this combination of knots on my jigging rods and we really put the heat on them and have never had a break at the knot.
    Capt. Bruce Andersen
    Captain Easy Charters
    34 Crusader
    http://www.captaineasycharters.com/
    Easy Does It Fishing Charters
    Conch 27
    https://easydoesitfishing.com/
    305-360-2120
    Smugglers Marine
    Islamorada Florida
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.netknots.com/html/surgeons_knot.html

Exactly!!!@# I was taught to pass the line through 3 times. The illustration indicates just two times, but it must work. I can't think of an easier or quicker knot. Has always worked for me.
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Deckhand
    nick wrote: »
    2ft uni to uni

• Anonymous2Anonymous2 Posts: 1,964 Officer
    Splashmob wrote: »

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Splashmob wrote: »

I you are referring to the Naples knot, no.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    20lb up to 30lb for those gamefish... question for you are you going to using lures or bait?? with a flounder rig i tend to keep them short (foot at most) and even with a 7ft rod the drop from a 3 to 4ft leader
    in no way should get into your guide, well at least not for me..

I'm using 5 to 6ft leaders but thats because i'm fishing Heavy cover!! my lines are rubbing on rocks at time so i need to cut off after awhile... IMO for the type of fishing you will be doing and lenght of leader
    theres no need to reel thru your guides... again IMO..a simple uni-knot or improve albright will work...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,410 Admiral
    if you are just blind casting there is no need to cast your knot through your guides.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
    I usually start out with a 5' leader so it's going thru the guides. :-)
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,410 Admiral
    I cast 2 1/2' to 3' of leader and the knot does not go through the guides.
  • hodgie2411hodgie2411 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Ok so I do my inshore set ups much different than most. I always start with a Spider hitch on the braid, this makes the mainline a double line. I then go to an albright knot to the fluoro leader line in this case either 20 or 15 lb fluoro. I will use about six feet of leader material I therefore do not have to retie a new leader onto the braid.
    When flounder fishing I will use a Carolina type rig where as I place a small weight 1/4 ounce or smaller on the leader and then tie a swivel then another short section of leader about 14 inches max from the swivel to the hook. Flounder love mud minnows and small mullet this short leader from the swivel to the hook keeps the bait close to the bottom and therefore more bites.
    As of recent I have been using a smaller jig head (jig head weight depends on depth and current) with a live bait on the end it is just as effective. Either way I use the leader almost as a topshot than a leader itself....