Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Waccasassa River/Bay

2»

Replies

• MichimanMichiman Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I guess that explains why the Ozello flats look like a wasteland. I see cars parked alongside the road, but no people, and a couple 'true southern' locals told me they were poaching the hearts.

I stand corrected.  Thanks.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited October 2018 #33
    Sadly a lot of palm tree on the lower part of the river past the island. died because of global warming.  Salt water rise killed them..  When I first fished the river 14 years ago the river was lined with beautiful palm trees.  Not now the lower part is lined with palm tree with no tops.  Still one of my favorite places for a boat ride.
    Sea level rise is also killing the cypress and red cedar. Noticed this at Homasassa as well.

I recently did a botanical survey of the entire shoreline of the Homasassa and tributaries from the springs to the mouth. Sea level rise is happening. Red mangrove inhabit shoreline that it did not a decade ago. They are gonna take over a lot of the marsh areas, it is already happening. We are seeing reds, whites and blacks. Other species changes are occurring as well. Also with reduced spring flow and higher seas salt water is reaching father up the river and causing the vegetation changes.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,119 AG
    Michiman said:
    I guess that explains why the Ozello flats look like a wasteland. I see cars parked alongside the road, but no people, and a couple 'true southern' locals told me they were poaching the hearts.

I stand corrected.  Thanks.
    just keep being the idiot! lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    AC man the river is fine, same as it always was. Floating trees come and go there. Channel markers have been replaced once again and there is some you probably haven't seen in years. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and the river looked good. Your boat should be fine . Fish club has new owners but Herb is still running it. 
    Oh by the way, Jeff still has that last bay boat you sold him.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,893 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #36
    Redbonz said:
    AC man the river is fine, same as it always was. Floating trees come and go there. Channel markers have been replaced once again and there is some you probably haven't seen in years. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and the river looked good. Your boat should be fine . Fish club has new owners but Herb is still running it. 
    Oh by the way, Jeff still has that last bay boat you sold him.....
    Thanks for the info. Actually ran into Jeff's son recently. I couldn't believe he still had that boat.
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Palms are salt tolerant, which means that they can survive short periods of flooding and also live near the coast where the water in the soil can be brackish.  But they can't live with their roots in real saltwater the way that mangroves can.

Saltwater intrusion has been well documented along the west coast of Florida. It's the result of increasing sea level and reduced flow of freshwater.

You can click on the "show historical imagery"  tool in Google Earth and use the time slider to watch the palms die off near the coast end of rivers.  You can also see some islands such as the Bird Keys off of the St. Martins Keys disappear. If you know what to look for, you can also see mangroves invading marsh grass areas over time.
    Sad to see this happen. I've watched the Chazz woods die along the river. There use to be nothing but woods past the old railroad trestle before Potter Creek. and around the next bend. Now the only thing that's left is palm trees and they are dying off too. Crawford Creek has suffered the same faith. The tree line use to start where the 1st cabins on the creek were. Now it's doesn't start until closer to the end. Sad thing to see. 
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 55 Deckhand
    **** number one...I'd like to meet you some day 
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    surfman said:
    I said North and I meant South, if you venture into Turtle Bay (to the south) it is all oysters and rock. On the North side of the channel it gets shallow and lots of oysters, go slow.
    And rocks, I lost a skeg there turning north out of the channel far from the river mouth when i first started fishing there
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,014 Captain
    edited October 2018 #40
    Michiman said:
    **** number one...I'd like to meet you some day 
    Forum BASH at the end of the “road to nowhere” at sunset tomorrow! 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.