Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Shrimp Boats

New to the forum but not fishing or the area.

Was hoping someone would be kind enough to school me on Gulf of Mexico Shrimp Boat movements. I know the royal red boats run deeper and their season is quota driven. Does anyone know if there is a routine or annual pattern or routine frequency to the shrimp boats working our area? How many shrimp guys run out of Yankeetown/CR/Horseshoe/Steinhatchee? Significant amount?

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,321 AG
    edited September 2018 #2
    all of the boat in this area (Citrus county) are either bait boats or live commercial and use roller trawls as opposed to door nets.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Snapper_SmackerSnapper_Smacker FloridaPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Good to know. Thank you.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,268 Moderator
    I've seen some trawlers anchored out in 30 - 50' before. Not sure if working or moving to another port ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    edited September 2018 #5
    Maybe I'm seeing fishing trawlers then? This is typically between 90-120 fow when I see these guys. They have what look to be booms or outriggers dragging nets, so I assumed they were shrimpers

Out of curiosity, What would a fishing trawler be targeting in our area other than shrimp?
    No fish trawling allowed in the GOM EEZ. 
    Those were shrimp boats y'all see fro 40' out, mostly all freezer boats and from ports such as tarpon Springs south to KW and Appalchicola west all the way to Texas.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I've seen some trawlers anchored out in 30 - 50' before. Not sure if working or moving to another port ?
    Louie there is a piece of Bottom just S-SW of Cedar Key that the trawlers work in the spring.
    Anumber1 thanks. I have approached and fished behind them a good distance. If i can't hail them on VHF, is it bad form to approach them while they are at anchor during the day? Or do they pretty much always welcome folks who gift beer and cigarettes? How close is too close while they are running nets? So far I have not gotten closer than half a mile or so behind them.
    Anumber1 thanks. I have approached and fished behind them a good distance. If i can't hail them on VHF, is it bad form to approach them while they are at anchor during the day? Or do they pretty much always welcome folks who gift beer and cigarettes? How close is too close while they are running nets? So far I have not gotten closer than half a mile or so behind them.
    beer and cig are welcome but how welcome depends if they are on the first or the forth week of a trip.
    They trawl at night in the gulf and either anchor up (to sleep) or move to a different area during the day.

try 16 to hail, I don't know which channel the big boats are on.
    Most of y'all missed the days when Crystal Bay would have 100+ shrimp boats trawling from 10' out to the sea buoy every night.
    Boats from every state bordering the gulf.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,959 Captain
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Cracker shrimp operates out of Horseshoe. I think the shrimp they sell are bait shrimp but I’m not sure what the difference is. Pretty good dudes and I think they also run inshore fishing charters.
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 602 Officer
    Unless you’re there right at daylight they are probably sleeping. I’ve seen them a good bit in 80-120’ late spring through summer. I’ve also ran across some out past 600’ but they were on the move. Daytime they are anchored and you can pull right up behind them, usually will have Bonita and sometimes black fins out deeper. Kings and cobia are also likely. 
    edited September 2018 #14
    Thanks Top Contender. 
  • SalteyDogSalteyDog Posts: 65 Deckhand

Looking for people that might have room to go fishing on your boat. The second week in November! If you might be going out and have room for one more hand Email or call/text me!

Will be in Tampa can get bait and grind chum also! I have some fishing equipment too!

Bill 515-204-4553