Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Carrabelle Restaurant Grouper Sandwich Reviews

2»

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,294 AG
    I see they have a soft shell crab sandwich for 17.00, that meets the 3x rule as I sell whale(size) soft shells to restaurants for $5/each and that's the going rate here also.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,401 Moderator
    Perhaps you should text or email the owner. Seems rather presumptous to question a person's integrity regarding his offerings when you've never patronized the establishment.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,381 Officer
    What ANUMBER ONE said! Filet a Red Grouper, Skin and Bones out and you wind up with about 38% of whole weight if you're lucky. Most Grouper fillets come from Mexico, Central America and are of various varieties. How do I know? I used to sell a lot of seafood. If you get a decent sized Grouper sandwich for under $20.00 you're doing good. Also, your catch of the day EVERYWHERE is Mahi and I can bet that 95% of it comes from frozen, CO2 treated fillets which are around the $5.50 lb mark to the wholesaler today. Do the math for a 4-6 oz portion x 3 which is the benchmark for pricing food in restaurants today. In comparison Swai (Chinese/Viet Catfish) runs about $3.00 lb. These prices don't include further markup from the wholesaler to the restaurant/market. Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. 
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #35
    ^ yup.

i don’t order a grouped sandwich that isn’t pushing 20 skins 

anything less and I just expect a fried fish sandwich.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,585 Admiral
    13 bucks for a grouper sandwich with 2 sides is right in line with the area. Angelo's gets 16.95 with fries and Mad Anthony's gets 11 with choice of 1 side. Both serve fresh caught grouper. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    How much is a mullet sandwich up there?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,739 Admiral
    Last time I had a mullet sandwich I believe it was $2.

Been a good while.  I did buy my wife a smoked mullet for $2.25.
    almost $9.00 here.

1.00 lb all year for eating fish to the boat... get a little more than 5.5 oz though..
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,849 AG
    Lots of people up here won't eat a mullet. They are crazy...
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man said:
    Lots of people up here won't eat a mullet. They are crazy...
    that we can agree upon, nothing is better that a fresh (outside not river) mullet fried with some cheese grits, beans and slaw..
    Skin on of course and backbones reserved for the cooks.
    I haven't seen any mullet lately. Used to be roadside places all up and down the road selling smoked mullet. There were 2 sisters in Round Lake that had the best smoked mullet ever.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Price  is up $2/lb from  last  week.
    Is that seasonal or the economy?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,585 Admiral
    It is because they are endangered! 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Red tide?
    God, save the South!
    Red tide?
    From 2014 IMO.

Lots of shorts so maybe next year.
    I think the new stock assessment  will show  how bad  the 2014 tide hurt.
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 602 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    his overhead is really low or he has his own boat(s) or is just trading for business...  
    In other words, you were wrong, but still won’t admit it. 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    Grouper sammies are overrated. When I eat fish, I would like it to taste well...like fish.
    eddiejoe said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    his overhead is really low or he has his own boat(s) or is just trading for business...  
    In other words, you were wrong, but still won’t admit it.

Maybe, but I doubt it after talking to some of the fishermen in that area.
    I just laid out some possible scenarios for a cheap grouper sandwich especially when the domestic price is at a record high.

back when I (red)grouper fished price was high from Dec till mid May (weather/tourists) then tanked (on cue) the day after Memorial day..
    Stayed stagnant until 1st of July and then started to inch up..

Lack of (red)grouper is driving the current prices..
    I fully expect the TAC to drop when the current stock assessment is complete (as it should).

I will be shocked if it doesn't.
    You were talking the impact of red tide a few posts back. Looks like the past few months have been terrible. Mexico Beach canal is clogged with dead fish right now.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

You were talking the impact of red tide a few posts back. Looks like the past few months have been terrible. Mexico Beach canal is clogged with dead fish right now.
    not as bad as 2014 (yet) in the big bend area..
    2014 redtide killed a lot of bottom (and fish) in the big bend
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    RG was 26.99 at Publix Sunday in Alb
    I know several restaurant owners that will change their menu if this continues. Last time grouper shot up, they took grouper off the menu and offered other fish.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    Mahi is a decent substitute. Rats of the sea....
  • OldgoldandwhiteOldgoldandwhite Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Good thread. Best mullet in the area?  And the Blue Parrot soft shell crab po boy is my favorite sandwich. So far. 
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,407 Moderator
    Went and got the gig boat. Stopped at Tropical Trader and the grouper sandwich was #1 Grouper. #2, very good and averaged size.
    14 or 15 dollars with 1 side.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,739 Admiral
    I wish i had one right now.  When I was younger I fished with a fellow he would keep all the grouper for his sisters restraunt.