Home General Fishing

snook lures in day time

badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
after sunrise  I cant  catch a snook over 20 inches, are there any lures that catch decent size snook during the day   ...thanks 

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 661 Officer
      Cannot speak for your part of Fl.but two items can pass on from 10k area.
    First,snook now will be more likely in 1-3 ft.in the half hour before sunrise,so
    you want to be at that time.Two,larger the lure,bigger the fish but fewer
    strikes.Going from 1/2oz to 1oz is enough.
    As the sun rises,fish tend to be deeper in water column therefore uses lures
    that also go down.Look for snook at mangrove corners,down timber,oyster
    bars and must have moving water.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,870 AG
    The same lure that works before sunrise...will work after...if you are putting it in front of them. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,170 Admiral
    I'm with Duckman, it is all about location.  If a snook is there, they will hit what you are tossing.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 117 Deckhand
    I do alot more fishing during the night but i do fish during the day also. I'm thinking it may not be your lure instead something else your doing because i'm very confident i can catch a snook on almost any lure. Try to think about if your bait is rigged straight, if your leader is light enough or long enough also it maybe your working it all wrong.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,906 Captain
    Most folks want to fish for snook where they aren’t .... If you can, load your livewell with white baits then do a bit of live chumming.  Don’t even pick up a rod until you see a fish or two strike.  You’ll be surprised at exactly where the big girls are holding since most are no where near the shoreline... They’re out in three to six feet of water.

If you can live chum -make a point of using hard baits, buck tails, or lead heads the same size as your chum -and fish where there’s a bit of current for best results.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Deckhand
    depends on what kind of bait flow you are having.  example- in my area of south east florida we have a nice mullet flow right now so sebile jointed swim baits in similar color to mullet have been putting a hurtin on the snook. I have been swapping the rear double hook with a split ring and a decent mustad or gamakatsu treble hook. although I definatly recommend the mustad for superior strength bud the Gamis have been doing well. 
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    Yo-Zuri 3d minnow is my favorite during the mullet run by far. I dont know what the heck they do to these things but i get probably four times the bites as rapala or anyother plugs
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 857 Officer
    Because, as mentioned by several posters above, they snook tend to move to deeper water as the sun comes up, I will actually switch to something that works its way down to them. A DOA Baitbuster has worked well for me, bumping it off the bottom. 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,457 Officer

In the daytime snook love shade and structure whether it’s inside a wreck down 100 ft. or in just two feet of water under some mangrove branches with dead logs.. I have seen them in both places and everyplace in-between that provides structure and shade.

Giimoozaabi
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,355 Officer
    Like some of the others said, location, location and not location but presentation. For me here in Central FL I find the best daytime lures to be DOA shrimp and small paddle tail or curly tail jigs. Water color is also a big factor. Those are my daytime snook throws. The jigs im talking abput are like 1/8th ounce to 1/2 ounce. Not heavy at all. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,728 AG
    Biggest snook I have caught was on a 1/4 oz jig, 11:00am,  Faka Union canal in the
    summer.  I didn't weight it but it was almost 40" if I remember.  
    Vote for the other candidate
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,432 Officer
    I like the DOA paddle tails on 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig heads.  
  • bertha01bertha01 mexico cityPosts: 4 Greenhorn
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,906 Captain
    To put it mildly, snook will eat a variety of lures -- plugs, jigs, spoons... as well as a variety of flies.  All will depend on time of year and the available forage.... In winter, when it's colder we're using mostly bucktail jigs, leadheads with Gulp tails, and almost anything "shrimpy"... In summer baitfish imitations take first place... 

Year in and year out, though all of my customers big snook come on dead or live bait... mostly ladyfish in the 10 to 12" range that we catch ourselves.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • jordinejordine flPosts: 52 Greenhorn
    DOA cal paddle tails and Mirrodines are my go-to baits.