Home Off Topic

3M UV shield film on house windows

mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,568 AG
Just curious if anyone has done this?  The AC guy recommended it for our bedroom which gets morning sun and is generally warmer than the rest of the house.  This is because of the vent placement and being the furthest from the AC unit.

He also said for $400 they could add a small return in the room.

Captain Todd Approves

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,360 Admiral
    My parents had it done to their entire house.  It works as advertised.  It essentially is like putting sunglasses on your windows.  My mother got terrible migraines from the sun, after the UV film her migraines went away.  It does darken the house a touch, but the windows are still easy to see out of.  The one nice side benefit is people on the outside cannot see inside.  It has like a faint mirror aspect to it.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    I recently had the hvac system replaced in our house. Since buying it a year or so ago the master bedroom which is furthest from the system was hotter in summer and cooler in winter. The hvac company put a 12"×12" return in that bedroom and solved the problem. They only charged $100.00 but then they did charge me for an entire new system and heat pump.

Were it me I would consider doing both since it is so little $s, hvac return and window film.
    Deo Vindice
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,045 Moderator
    mplspug said:
    Just curious if anyone has done this?  The AC guy recommended it for our bedroom which gets morning sun and is generally warmer than the rest of the house.  This is because of the vent placement and being the furthest from the AC unit.

He also said for $400 they could add a small return in the room.

If that room does not have a return, I'd put one in. Most people don't understand the importance of a return air duct.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,568 AG
    We probably will put one in then next spring.  Maybe sooner even with it getting cooler, hot flashes you know.  $400 seems cheap for added comfort.

Captain Todd Approves

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,256 Captain
    My last house did't have AC in it when we moved in. My wife put reflective film on the windows and it dropped the temp noticeably. The sliding glass door on the west was a big heater. AC came after my son was born 
     You are right about not seeing in during the day but at night any light on inside reflects back in the room and you can't see out. But you can see in very easily. 
    Gary S said:
    My last house did't have AC in it when we moved in. My wife put reflective film on the windows and it dropped the temp noticeably. The sliding glass door on the west was a big heater. AC came after my son was born 
     You are right about not seeing in during the day but at night any light on inside reflects back in the room and you can't see out. But you can see in very easily. 
    That is interesting.  My parents got the film after I moved out, I never considered what it looked like at night.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 323 Deckhand
    I have seen it void window warranty and crack the glass. I would want a warranty that the glass will not crack. 
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    Pretty sure Pella and JeldWen will void warranty if any 3rd party film is applied.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,568 AG
    Pretty sure my windows are not under warranty.  

Captain Todd Approves

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,256 Captain
    How does a film crack glass? 
    Gary S said:
    Yeah, I don't get that either.  The film on my parents house is probably 15 years old, no issues.

-Walter Payton
    Gary S said:
    Thermal stress. Film traps heat, glass cracks. Usually on double pane windows.
    Resinhead said:
    Gary S said:
    Thermal stress. Film traps heat, glass cracks. Usually on double pane windows.
    That doesn't make sense to me.  The heat from light is mostly from the infrared spectrum.  The film filters ultraviolet and visible, so it shouldn't trap much heat.  

-Walter Payton
    It really doesn't matter if you don't understand it. It's something that happens and will void warranties.
    edited September 2018 #16
    Resinhead said:
    It really doesn't matter if you don't understand it. It's something that happens and will void warranties.
    Lol, ok.  

Edit

I'm guessing our disconnect is based on probable versus possible.  

-Walter Payton
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    If worried about warranty of double pane windows why not have solar screen installed? 
    Deo Vindice
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    I did it on the south facing windows in my last home.  It works.  On a hot day the window was cooler to the touch than not treated windows and much cooler behind them.  The only down side was that we lost any radiant heat in the winter so the ground floor got pretty cold, especially the tile.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 323 Deckhand
    If it does not cause the glass to crack they should have no problem giving a warranty to replace the window. There is a good chance you may not have a problem. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    If it does not cause the glass to crack they should have no problem giving a warranty to replace the window. There is a good chance you may not have a problem. 
    I didn’t think the issue was the glass as much as the vacuum seal? 
      Insulated glass manufacturers have a big enough problem without adding extra expansion issues.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,922 Admiral
    My office windows are cheap as doo doo, and hot as ****, facing the setting sun directly with no trees or cover. I'm sweating my butt off right now. Little window shaker a/c doesnt do doo doo.

I'm cheap though. Has anybody ever bought the 3M film and installed it?
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events