Home Off Topic

All this talk about the AC Temp got me wondering

2»

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    What is the units rating? Tonnage?
    Will have to check. I think the issue is the air always blowing. The installed doesnt know a lot about them and this issue was never brought up.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    To big of a unit for the square footage will cause the unit to be inefficient. 
     One of the AC guys here can explain it. 
     Sounds like all you need is a ton and a half unit. 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    We have a mini split with spider (blower in Attic and ducts).

And a problem. Have to keep thermostat at 73-74 to get humidity below 65%. WAY too cold. If we set it at 80-82 like our old house and Carrier unit the humidity will hit 80% and higher.

From what I understand, the minisplits always pretty much blow air....even when not cooling....thus sometimes air is blowing over wet coils humidifying the house.  Also they are so efficient they don't run much, even to keep house at 73. Entire electric bill is 65$, even with low temp setting. 2 fridges, box freezer and every appliance electric.

Any AC experts have any suggestions? Hate to get a humidifier, may have too.
    Umm..... maybe you should get a Dehumidifier?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Cyclist said:

And a problem. Have to keep thermostat at 73-74 to get humidity below 65%. WAY too cold. If we set it at 80-82 like our old house and Carrier unit the humidity will hit 80% and higher.

From what I understand, the minisplits always pretty much blow air....even when not cooling....thus sometimes air is blowing over wet coils humidifying the house.  Also they are so efficient they don't run much, even to keep house at 73. Entire electric bill is 65$, even with low temp setting. 2 fridges, box freezer and every appliance electric.

May have to. Would rather figure out definitively why the AC isn't getting it done.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Add a room to the house.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    surfman said:
    Add a room to the house.
    We are. Screened in sleeping porch, living area and kitchen.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,078 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    surfman said:
    Add a room to the house.
    We are. Screened in sleeping porch, living area and kitchen.
    Forget the screens and build that wall.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,673 AG
    Cyclist said:

Buy a dehumidifier. I did this for one of my stores that was too humid. Went from 70% and foggy cooler doors to 50% and clear doors. It was a small 4000 sgft model for $250. Piped the drain outside and plug it in. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,661 AG
    Sounds like your AC may be over sized.

yep. Watch for mold to start growing.

77 during the day when away 75-74 when there during the day and night.

Winter 68-70 when home.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,778 Captain
    When we lived in Florida we kept the AC set at 74.  Moved to AZ a couple of years ago and we keep it set at 80 even during the 115-120 degree days and it's perfectly comfortable.  Humidity is a funny thing.
  • Flats2blueFlats2blue Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Summer temp 80 all the time, ceiling fans run all the time in the room I am in.  Winter set to 72 but may set it lower in the future.  
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:

May have to. Would rather figure out definitively why the AC isn't getting it done.
    And!

You will have all of the distilled water you'll ever need....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    The AC guy told me to open all the vents I closed.  I was trying to force more air to the master.  He said that not how it works and it would ruin my coils.

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    edited September 2018 #45
    mplspug said:
    The AC guy told me to open all the vents I closed.  I was trying to force more air to the master.  He said that not how it works and it would ruin my coils.
    He is right. And also keep all the interior doors open or cracked open to allow more return air to the unit. Newer homes have return ducts built in so doors can stay closed. 
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    Summer 77 always and winter 68 if needed.
  • humblerhumbler TampaPosts: 130 Deckhand
    Wife likes 73 in summer. No heat unless the grand babies are spending night. Happy wife - happy life (cold husband though)..
    This. I am ok with 76-78 but my wife is 74 and even 73 sometimes. AND, the ceiling fan over our bed is on all summer. I get all the blankets. When we need the heat it's usually turned on to 68. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,259 Captain
    Cyclist said:

Most of the minis that I worked on were not ducted. There were a few that were but were designed to be.
     As far as fan running all the time that should be a setting issue, and it will not raise humidity if it runs all the time. Water is removed from air  when it goes across cold coil.The coil is cold when compressor is running. New units will delay the fan on start up to get evaporator cold before starting fan and will delay the fan on shutdown to take advantage of cold coil. If you unit is over sized it won't run long enough to dehumidify the space.  You also have to make sure your house is tight. no leaks around windows and doors. Jalousie windows are the worst. No duct leaks attic. And don't oversize the unit. You should be around 18000 BTU or as said already a ton and a half.
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    78° with built in Dehumidifier set to 50 year round. New ductwork when AC was replaced/upgraded 5 years ago. Cut my bill in half. If you can get the humidity out it feels like 70.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    I use a Nest thermostat to keep my home at 78 during the day and 75 at night, and I never have to touch it.

Just added a 2nd temp sensor so the one used at night is in the bedroom (it's generally a few degrees warmer/cooler in there).

The Nest system (and others like it) are pretty neat.  You should check it out if you've not already, Cad.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,979 AG
    Might want to so some due diligence.

http://mynestsucks.com
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    gatorhook said:
    78° with built in Dehumidifier set to 50 year round. New ductwork when AC was replaced/upgraded 5 years ago. Cut my bill in half. If you can get the humidity out it feels like 70.
    I know everyone knows this, but it's called an air conditioner and not a refrigerator for a reason, it dries the air out as well as cools.  But drying the air out is really why we can keep the thermostat in the 70s and still feel comfortable.

Captain Todd Approves

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,372 Admiral
    I use a Nest thermostat to keep my home at 78 during the day and 75 at night, and I never have to touch it.

Just added a 2nd temp sensor so the one used at night is in the bedroom (it's generally a few degrees warmer/cooler in there).

The Nest system (and others like it) are pretty neat.  You should check it out if you've not already, Cad.
    Not a fan. I want my T Stat to maintain my set point. Never sold one. 
    edited September 2018 #54
    Mini splits are great at maintaining humidity. 

We only sell Mitsubishi. Yes they are expensive, but they work and do not break. 

Also, I dont care what unit you have, certain weather conditions will have your tile floor wet if you are not willing to turn the stat down or have a dehumidifier in Florida. Rare, but it happens. Many times in the spring rainey season you gotta crank it down to 72.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,661 AG
    Bunch of cold blooded guys here! I guess most are in central to south FL where it doesn't get cold. Cold meaning freezing temps and many just above. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited September 2018 #56
    Yeah, but a fancy one.  AC Man was referring to a set and forget type of thermostat, I believe.

For what it's worth, the Nest paid for itself in six months.  I also like the additional feature of being able to access it from my office and bedroom which are upstairs or when I'm not even in the house via my phone.  It also has a neat feature to go to a higher temperature when I'm not home that saves even more money.

I suspect Cad will see some of the appeal, even if AC Man doesn't.  To each his own, after all.  :)

Have fun...Mike

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    74 summer, 72 when it's winterish.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    Yeah, but a fancy one.  AC Man was referring to a set and forget type of thermostat, I believe.

For what it's worth, the Nest paid for itself in six months.  I also like the additional feature of being able to access it from my office and bedroom which are upstairs or when I'm not even in the house via my phone.  It also has a neat feature to go to a higher temperature when I'm not home that saves even more money.

I suspect Cad will see some of the appeal, even if AC Man doesn't.  To each his own, after all.  :)

Have fun...Mike

I know there are people that like them, just not for me. I like technology, their technology is just not for me.

I think there are better options, and Nest did a great job marketing to the public.

Other control companies market to contractors.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,673 AG
    edited September 2018 #59

Have fun...Mike

Sorry but i don't I like the temp where I have it set. Why would i want a nest? i have a programmable thermostat already in the unit. Leaving it at 80 saves me money and with fans and low humidity, I am fine. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,979 AG
    My programmable Honeywells adjust temp per a preset schedule. Adjust as needed.

72° from 7pm to 6am
    78° 6am to 4pm
    76° 4pm to 7pm.