Bay boat in the Keys?

Todd1027Todd1027 Texas( currently) Posts: 6 Greenhorn
edited September 2 in Boating #1
Hi I’m new to the forum. I currently live in Texas but will more than likely be relocating to the Loxahatchee Wellington area early next summer. Since I will be fairly close to the upper keys, I’m looking to doing inshore fishing around there and probably on the  slightly upper gulf side time to time. But My question is what fish species and areas can you cover in the Keys with a bay boat? 

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 898 Officer
    There isn't much that you CAN'T catch out of a bay boat in the Keys.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Tarpon, yellow tail snapper, dolphin on calm days, snook, redfish and trout in the upper keys and of course lobster.  Bay boat can cover a lot of different types of fishing in the keys.  I live where you will be moving to and you can go offshore on calm days for Wahoo69, dolphin, kings and reef fish.  Solid choice
  • Todd1027Todd1027 Texas( currently) Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks, I really appreciate the info!
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,484 Captain
    There’s some good inshore fishing right where you live, too. Lots of snook in the ICW and the canals off it. If the waters clean, trout, reds snook, and more north up around Jupiter to Ft Pierce. Lots of people fish off shore in their bay boats out of Boynton and Palm Beach inlets also. It gets deep quick, about 100’ of depth per mile out, so the runs are short. There’s some good guys on the SE section on here, ask questions on there, too. They’ll be glad to help.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    Loxahatchee is where I want to move in a couple years too.   You can do a lot with a 22-24' bay boat and the right seas in that area. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,484 Captain
    Deep water a short run, the Stream within a few miles, sails, dolphin, wahoo, kings in 100’ or less. Awesome diving. The Bahamas 2 hours away at a 30 mph cruise. Yup, plenty to like about se Fl. But,...........a jillion people, crazy traffic, jack legs that won’t speak English, every ramp covered up with googans. I miss the first list, but the second is what got me here in Umatilla. I go down and fish with friends occasionally, but have zero desire to move back. Plus, living here puts me three hours closer to my lease. 
  • BigTomBigTom Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    I see these questions about boats and have to laugh a little about them. My first dolfin was caught out of a 16' homemade boat my uncle built in his garage in the mid 1950s. We would think nothing about going out to the stream, no radio, no epirb, only a compass and at least 2 boats together. Think we always made it back, it is hard to get lost in the Keys, just go north and you will get to land somewhere. I have a lot of tales about fishing in the mid 1900 if anyone is interested in an old man remember how it as.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    pottydoc said:
    Deep water a short run, the Stream within a few miles, sails, dolphin, wahoo, kings in 100’ or less. Awesome diving. The Bahamas 2 hours away at a 30 mph cruise. Yup, plenty to like about se Fl. But,...........a jillion people, crazy traffic, jack legs that won’t speak English, every ramp covered up with googans. I miss the first list, but the second is what got me here in Umatilla. I go down and fish with friends occasionally, but have zero desire to move back. Plus, living here puts me three hours closer to my lease. 
    Seems like a fun place to visit rather than live, we're planning on moving in a couple years just not sure where to.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    BigTom said:
    I see these questions about boats and have to laugh a little about them. My first dolfin was caught out of a 16' homemade boat my uncle built in his garage in the mid 1950s. We would think nothing about going out to the stream, no radio, no epirb, only a compass and at least 2 boats together. Think we always made it back, it is hard to get lost in the Keys, just go north and you will get to land somewhere. I have a lot of tales about fishing in the mid 1900 if anyone is interested in an old man remember how it as.  

Big tom we are listening. The keys have changed so much would like to here some stories. :)
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    "I have a lot of tales about fishing in the mid 1900 if anyone is interested in an old man remember how it as.  
    Mid 1900's"    Dang, you must be oldest guy on this forum, LOL!!!!
  • BigTomBigTom Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    "I have a lot of tales about fishing in the mid 1900 if anyone is interested in an old man remember how it as.  
    Mid 1900's"    Dang, you must be oldest guy on this forum, LOL!!!!
    I may be old, but hope not the oldest. Will be 75 in a few months and started going to the Keys in 1956. My family started in 1946 and we went every year.