Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Is homosassa still a decent place to catch tarpon?

I've had some folks say tell me that the area is no longer worth fishing, whereas others have told me that there's still decent tarpon fishing to be had there.

Your thoughts? 

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    it sucks, all the scallop guides have run the tarpon off.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mr.bubbamr.bubba Posts: 72 Deckhand
    I saw a young lady fighting a nice tarpon at the ramp at the end of 40. She had it on for a few minutes. 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,083 Officer
    Anna Maria Island/bean point holds huge numbers of fish. its at the mouth of the Bay. It is a place most anyone who tarpon fishes can go and catch one or two nice fish in June. Its worth hauling the boat down there. The first time i went tarpon fishing in my own boat, I drove down there. Within 15 min drifting the beach early on a Sunday morning i pitched a gulp shrimp to fish that rolled and landed it 15 min later. Later that day I caught two more.  It can be a zoo but the number of fish is so great that when the bite turns on your chances are good to hook fish.

Up this way shallow water poons are spooked by so many boats.  
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    mr.bubba said:
    I saw a young lady fighting a nice tarpon at the ramp at the end of 40. She had it on for a few minutes. 
    I hooked one there last Spring casting a Spook at Sundown. 80~100lbs and got one jump for the gawking onlookers till it threw my $8. spook back at me! That's fine by me!! Still see a lot of them in the river but I don't fish for them!!

I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!