Home Off Topic

Speaking of AC, s

I'm going to need to buy one...
12x 24 room . Free standing. I'll insulate the Death out of it. Been looking at them little Split Systems like Cyclist was talking about....Expensive as heck but nice . I need a Heat strip as well.
Square footage says 9000 BTU's . Will a build in wall shaker do the job well ?
A lot cheaper for sure. What's the benefit to the Mini Splits as compared to the window shaker ?
Price is a lot cheaper on the shakers...
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,493 Admiral
    I'm  thinking you would probably get your money back with the split but it might take the rest of your life.
    Get the window shaker and a nice rifle.....
    winning...
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,683 AG
    A split for a 12x24?? I wouldn't think so. Just roll your the space heaters you said you use in your house. Your house is bigger than 12x24 right? If not no big deal. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,300 Captain
    Mini split is quieter. You don't have the compressor noise in the room. If this room is a bunk house room I would get the window shaker, help drown out the snoring. If just for myself mini split.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I'm going to need to buy one...
    12x 24 room . Free standing. I'll insulate the Death out of it. Been looking at them little Split Systems like Cyclist was talking about....Expensive as heck but nice . I need a Heat strip as well.
    Square footage says 9000 BTU's . Will a build in wall shaker do the job well ?
    A lot cheaper for sure. What's the benefit to the Mini Splits as compared to the window shaker ?
    Price is a lot cheaper on the shakers...
    Simple answer is yes it will work.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,582 Moderator
    There are some nice window units out there that are much quieter than they used to be. Check out decibel levels before buying. They also will cycle the fan off and on along with the compressor. You can set them up to run only at certain times with a preferred fan speed. If you're building the room from scratch, I'd build a separate, cased opening for the A/C unit. Get a 220v if your panel can handle it.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,582 Moderator
    There are some nice window units out there that are much quieter than they used to be. Check out decibel levels before buying. They also will cycle the fan off and on along with the compressor. You can set them up to run only at certain times with a preferred fan speed. If you're building the room from scratch, I'd build a separate, cased opening for the A/C unit. Get a 220v if your panel can handle it.
      You can get these in a heat pump configuration also.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    I picked up 3 of these for my hurricane supplies. We lost power for a week last year and barely got any rain or wind. 3 of these hooked to the genny and we were chilling. Quiet, remote control and very portable.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,513 AG
    do you really need heat?   You could get one of those amish heat boxes pretty cheap and they work well.   They also make ductless split units, I think Westinghouse and Mitsubishi make them suitcase unit outside, and a ductless air handler inside, they look slick but I don't know how well they work.  For my money I'd go with the window unit. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,080 Admiral
    It's for my Camp in far North Fla.
    Get's pretty dang cold up there sometimes . 
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Those Hisense come with heat as well. I didn't need that.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,493 Admiral
    He needs heat......I have seen 17F up that way more than once.
    Wood burning stove is probably your best bet.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    My camp is South of Bainbridge in Faceville and we've had a lot of 10° mornings. No fun walking in to my climber and having to remove a layer of ice before climbing. Most of our box stands have propane heaters just in case.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
     :D you guys need to stop the cold weather tales. Everyone knows that it is always a warm tropical climate in Florida year round. 

Just installed this in one of my specs in the separated inlaw suite. Took an old 220v wall banger out.

• NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 854 Officer

Gree's are a nice system.  Gree make many parts that other companies use.  The Sapphire line can go as high as 38 SEER.  Also most "High wall" style mini-splits are super quiet, especially the inverter types...

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!  One the biggest complaints is not understanding how the system works... they're very different from conventional systems.

This is the 12th Gree mini that I've purchased. You can hardly hear it running. This unit is in a 20x22 in law suite and it will freeze you out.

Highly recommend for this type install.