Home Off Topic

Collard Greens and Frog Legs.

2»

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I make greens (collards, mustards, turnips) from stuff I grow in my garden and have in freezer from hunting.

Boil greens with a chunk of smoked wild pig fat and bone (smoked ham). 
    Add onions and garlic chives from garden.
    When tender, salt to taste, maybe a touch of vinegar and a touch of black strap molasses (or honey) to cut acidity a bit.
    DONE. Use pepper vinegar at table.

Lately I take some greens and blend them completely with an immersion blender to a smooth consistency.

I use them like Palak paneer (Indian dish, https://www.cookwithmanali.com/palak-paneer/) and eat them on a good rice or amaranth grain. Add some of the Latin white cheese or goat cheese and the Southern Greens are now an Indian dish.

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,127 Admiral
    tankard said:

Going to need garlic and onions in them greens.

Oh, and bacon is way better than fatback or salt pork.

Was just about to post that
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Seeing a thread about collard greens under the TW thread brings back Fuzzy memories.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,810 Admiral
    Turnip greens.
    Boiled eggs.
    Fired onion rings.
    Lima beans.
    Cheap beer. 

Eat that for dinner and you'll be able to clear a building after a few hours of digestion.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    We season our greens with smoked turkey wings. Awesome flavor!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

Who in the absolute hell puts anything sweet....like molasses or honey...in greens??

Freaking yankee probably puts sugar and jelly in his grits. Puke, Cyclist.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:
    If you wanna see them ALL fail then get them to cook some poke salad.
    If they even know what it is.
    It's poke sallet, not poke salad.

not everyone spells in ebonics

It's poke sallet, not poke salad.

I don't speak Geechee either.

The name of the plant is poke sallet......doesn't matter where yo mama is from.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Does anyone know a poke sallet recipe? I’ve heard you have to boil it a few times and pour off the water each time. I believe it has oxalate crystals like elephant ears and they will tear your mouth up. I’m sure some smoked ham hock or neckbone are in the liquor.,
    You should have been here yesterday