Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

red grouper..and first time seeing red tide

Replies

• greg123168greg123168 Posts: 287 Deckhand
    we went out of anna maria yesterday and let me say this is the first time seeing red tide...made me very sad...the thing that amazed me the most was the dead snakes...tons and tons of them, seen one red fish that had to be a 42 inch..very sad and disheartened. well any way we made it out to about the 130 debth and we first put squid down...not a bite...then we dropped frozen sardines down and that was the trick. so a good day with tons of red grouper, one flounder, a huge ARS and some vermilion snapper, the only thing bad was the weather man lied about smooth seas
    2018 shearwater 27
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Very nice!

Are those snakes? I thought they might be eels.

Yeah, the weatherman lied about Saturday as well. 
  • greg123168greg123168 Posts: 287 Deckhand
    trs912 said:
    Very nice!

Are those snakes? I thought they might be eels.

Yeah, the weatherman lied about Saturday as well. 
    i stopped to look at one and it was white with black rings around it...but everything seemed to be white...i bet i went 10 miles to get out of the dead zone..and the water looked like a dark olive color,  but it could be eels.
    2018 shearwater 27
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,669 Captain
    They are shrimp eels, not snakes. AKA - snake eels.  They lack a caudal fin and look like snakes.

They are very abundant in the Gulf, but are secretive and rarely seen.  When the bottom becomes anoxic during a red tide, they are killed in great numbers and most float to the surface. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,975 AG
    They are shrimp eels, not snakes. AKA - snake eels.  They lack a caudal fin and look like snakes.

They are very abundant in the Gulf, but are secretive and rarely seen.  When the bottom becomes anoxic during a red tide, they are killed in great numbers and most float to the surface. 
    Cobia bait 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • SalteyDogSalteyDog Posts: 65 Deckhand

Take me with you! I'll be down first week in November! I have my own tackle and can get bait!

Bill call/text 515-204-4553