Strange odor

I live near Englewood and lately, during the still air near dusk, I smell an odor somewhat like cooked cabbage.
There was a piece in the Water Line supplement today about it.  (Englewood Times)
The editor suggested that it comes from a huge fish kill in the Gulf.
It's not from Red Tide, no tickle in the throat, no sneezing.
And, it's not my neighbors.

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 600 Officer
    edited September 2018 #2
    I've gotten all sorts of funky smells from the water this year, and I never get respiratory irritation, just itchy eyes sometimes. The wind probably changes around dusk and you get a whiff from wherever the dead marine life is piling up.
    There's also areas of beach that have the "red drift" algae piled up, and I have noticed that this smells a bit different than the dead fish and could possibly be what you're smelling, I noticed it in a few places on FMB.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,201 Captain
    edited September 2018 #3
    Yes, it's the same smell I've been complaining about.  Smells like a septic tank... not like dead animals/fish (like red tide usually smells like).
    Luckily it seems to be gone as of last night.  Some E wind this week should push it away hopefully.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,841 Captain
    I think I may know what you're smelling. It's a bacteria naturally present in the water. I've smelled it since I was a kid in the banana and Indian rivers. I think it's called gracilaria?
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,259 Captain
    kmagnuss said:
    Yes, it's the same smell I've been complaining about.  Smells like a septic tank... not like dead animals/fish (like red tide usually smells like).
    Luckily it seems to be gone as of last night.  Some E wind this week should push it away hopefully.

K, our Gulf is dying.
    From Texas to the Keys,  the pollution from the oil industries and over population is overwhelming the natural cleansing.
    It's hard to imagine that we humans can have that much of an effect, but it's happening.
    Yeah... carolinas is looking better and better.  If this kills another tarpon season here I'm out.
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    I've lived in Englewood when all the bridges on 775 were wood and the Faull Inn was the Night Owl Bar. Ahhh, thought were the days...I know what red tide looks and smell like.  Worked on BG for almost 40 years. Stop at the toll bridge and roll down your window and it smells like someone just took a dump in your truck. When this started in June the smell at the toll bridge was a toxic smell, NOT red tide. That toxic smell was there today when I went over. I don't think this entirely red tide. You can show me all the charts and graphs you want. I will admit there has been some red tide this year but what we have now is sewage being dumped from somewhere. I don't know who or where but it's been documented lots of times on the east coast and a few times on this coast in the past... so it's nothing new. I found a dead sea turtle this week on the shore just inside Boca Grande pass SICKENING! Maybe sewage is being pumped into the water released from Lake O somehow, who knows, but it ain't good.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,860 Captain
    This smell is now on the beach on Sanibel. I could smell it 500 feet from the beach. Smells like rotten cabbage w a chemical component. I don’t think it’s red tide cause it smelled different. Usually I don’t smell the red tide till I’m almost to the waters edge. This is more of a gas that is carried well inland.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,944 AG
    I'll ask my friend at Mote to see if he has any insight on the smell.
    kmagnuss said:
    Yeah... carolinas is looking better and better.  If this kills another tarpon season here I'm out.
    Sorry to hear that.

K,
    This will pass, but the future should be clear.
    The Gulf has reached the saturation point.
    The "dead zone" south of N. Orleans is growing.
    Over population of our state is coming home to us.
    What to do?  Heck, I don't know.
    It's taken decades to reach this point.
    There's no quick fix.
    In the meantime, the inshore fisheries, uneffected by the red tide, will face more pressure.
    Paradise Lost?
    edited September 2018 #14
    I definitely smelled what you're talking about in PIS around Sanibel this morning. It is indeed very strange. There were no dead fish around, however my bait was very frail today, some pins and pilchards didn't even make it one cast before they sank to the bottom, it was pretty frustrating and strange. No idea where the smell was coming from, but the water was much browner than it was last week in that area. There was a ton of dead sea grass mats around, could be all the vegetation and algae rotting.
    Smelled like propane today.  Definitely a different smell than the past couple of weeks.
    Still dead fish from south Charlotte Harbor to Stump pass, including inshore.  Saw a huge dead turtle on the beach on Palm Island.  There was a distinct line between brown and a greyish/cloudy blue. 
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,497 Captain
    edited September 2018 #16
    The smell is hydrogen sulfide.  It is released by anaerobic bacteria that normally live in the sediment where they are protected from oxygen, which is toxic to them.  After a red tide bloom and fish kill, the water column becomes deleted in oxygen that lets the sulfur bacteria grow as they and other species break down the last of the dead biomass.

The odors can change during and after a red tide bloom as different bacteria carry out the decay process of plant and animal material. 

The smell of propane gas (which has no odor) is due to a sulfur-containing additive that lets people know when there is a leak. Similar compounds are released as plants and animal matter decays. It can take a long time for all the dead animal and plants to fully decay so the smell can linger for weeks. 
    That makes a whole lot of sense but it sure doesn't smell like that to me. However maybe it just smells different than what I am used to. I have smelled plenty of hydrogen sulfide and that smells like rotten eggs, this smells like rotting cabbage.
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Today in Venice it smelled wiered in the morning I don’t know what rotten cabbage smells like. 
    But it was not the normal red tide odor. In late afternoon it smelled like a match or sulfur. 
    Red tide still nasty between stump pass and Gasparilla pass.  I cut back inshore there and it was bad until past cape haze.  I had two livewells full of freshly netted mullet... they all died en route.  45 minute drive I've done hundreds of times without a single casualty... they couldn't take running in it for probably 30 minutes.  And mullet are pretty hardy fish.  They can normally live in my livewell for up to an hour without it circulating water (like when I fill the livewells with water while the boat is on the trailer, then drive it  and launch it at a different ramp).  Sad state of affairs.  At least my house doesn't stink this week.  
    Not a whole lot than we can do, K.
    Except to hope for better times.
    I don't like hurricanes, but that may be what is needed to remedy this.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 733 Officer
    Hurricane, irma last year didn't help. Just caused a mess.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,472 AG
    nor did Hermine.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.