Red Tide in other areas

2»

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 667 Officer
    That's what worries me. So many people think winter will help this. If had little affect on it last year. the cold came a little late if I remember right, but it was a typical florida winter for the most part.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,402 Admiral
    just for your information, the original flow will never happen again.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Well that's riveting information.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,166 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    just for your information, the original flow will never happen again.

I believe most people understand that Art. But at the same time the current status quo needs to change for the good of all of Florida as a whole.
    Well that's riveting information.
    subsidence.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 803 Officer
    So you’re saying we can’t just blow up the dike? I read on here that that would fix errything. 
    gruntking said:
    So you’re saying we can’t just blow up the dike? I read on here that that would fix errything. 
    It would make a nice stagnant pond that would have to be pumped east or west at some point in time..
    ANUMBER1 said:
    gruntking said:
    It would make a nice stagnant pond that would have to be pumped east or west at some point in time..
    I agree with that. The water will go with the flow.
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 172 Deckhand
    I've read this entire post with much interest, and many others regarding opinions and thoughts about the causal factors of this persistent red tide.  If I were back in the college/post graduate days, I would think the observations below might make an interesting thesis.  So that said... as a person formally educated to think critically, has there been a study that would identify:

1.  Severity (defined as how wide spread, by square miles, total length of shore line impacted, etc) - has their ever been a long term analysis to answer the question as to how "severe" is this outbreak as compared to other previous events, of which have been documented over the years.

2.  Sustainment (defined by how long a continuous outbreak has been tracked) - how does this outbreak compare to previous documented events...

and 

3:  Frequency (defined by how often a new outbreak location is identified) - that compares historical data compares over time that is able to show (or not show) if the incidents occurring are trending in one direction or another.

Many posters have documented that red tide has a long term history of these events.  There seems to be an underlying argument that coastal population growth, coupled with Lake Okeechobee water discharges, are causing an increase in the "severity", "sustainment", and "frequency" of the red tide events.  I am confident that research by some very smart people are already working on these questions...

If you know of any research or have information to share, I think it would be helpful for all of us to build our knowledge base.

All the best...

GC
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
2»