Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

George Crady Bridge Question

I rode across the bridge the other day and looked across to the George crady and I see that they have it blocked off where you cannot get to the island area.   Why is that?   Can you get on the south side of the bridge "the short span" now?   Why do they have it blocked off?   

Replies

• LargefryLargefry Posts: 115 Deckhand

The answer I believe is Hurricane Matthew and Irma damage  to the small parking area Southside area and support banks.. Having said this small lot and limited parking spaces were filled always so have to go to northside and pay the parking fee. May be about the fee as pay station for that ramp is down the road. this is what I heard anyway.

Better fishing mid span and northside of bridge either way. Listen to the mayor of bridge Soun as results speak for themselves. Been out in my boat and fished both areas and it is true.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
    Pay lots are on both ends, to park. 

Best fishing is midspan and north, like largefry said.

If you see the mayor, stay away from Momma SOON....she'll outfish you and talk smack to you in Cambodian, all at the same time....while she fills the cooler. Will make you want to give all your rods away before leaving the bridge.

The Deputy Mayor will also ( the mayor's brother)....you'll see him ride up on his bike with a big ol drum or flounder, from some other part of the bridge, and drop it in the big cooler.....he's quiet....but makes sure you see his big fish.!!...before he closes the lid.

Daddy Soon is the patriarch......taught em all how to fish.....he just patiently takes it all in.....then when he wants to, he'll walk over and catch a big trout usually right where you have been fishing all morning !! Loves to tell stories, so bring your listening ears.

And yall already know about the Mayor.....he pays attention to the tides and bait movements, a cerebral fisherman, if you will.....fills the cooler in between flounder sessions with bunches of whiting., and drum, and an occasional "jack",...(he calls em pompano....but i call em jack trying to talk him out of em.....he hasn't bought it yet !! )

but when it's time for the flounder.....might as well be his net man......

......just sayin'......
  • 79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    haha. should have hide my toe long time ago. 
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 409 Deckhand
    I went to Nassau sound Sunday and fished off the beach on the North side of the bridge.  I have the family with me so we didnt go up on the pier.   I threw grubs with spinner, grub without, and live mullet and never caught a flounder.   Do not know how they did up on the bridge though.   All i have was a couple of ladyfish to show for the day.   There were a couple of locals fishing under the bridge also that have been fishing their for years.   One guy was friendly and told me about a 14 pound flounder he caught a few years back at that spot.   Maybe its the full moon or something.   I bet if i went to the fish Market they would not sell me a flounder!!!
    iI don't think the Mayor had any flounder.........but he was busy filling a 120 qt cooler with whiting, pompano, jacks and whatnot.

I'm sure he'll post soon......
    I hear you Bigfish, Went to bridge last. year with girlfriend to fish with soon, Loaded up gear and had live mullet, live shrimp, and live mud minnows. Caught two dink whiting and a spadefish. meanwhile the clan loaded the cooler with fish. Then soon hooked into something big, was fighting it and I cleared some  other poles. After 15 minutes a twenty plus pound stingray landed. In interim I caught three chunk whiting on his poles. Go figure......They are fishing machines and will never go hungry!
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Sea Snake said:
    iI don't think the Mayor had any flounder.........but he was busy filling a 120 qt cooler with whiting, pompano, jacks and whatnot.

I'm sure he'll post soon......
    Yes,  i wish i would have went up and took at look at what they were doing, but if they did not have any flounder then i am not surprised that i didn't either.   
  • 79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    tide was not in my favor last week. A friend drove all the way from atlanta to fish the bridge and he was the only one catching flounder that Sunday. 
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,425 Officer
    I love the brand new white Lacoste shirt to go fishing!!! :D:D:D:D:D  ......with the collar popped like a boss!
    Mr Miyagi ain't playin'....!!!

Pimpin', and catchin' flounder......what's not to like !