Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Redfish from the surf question

Hey everyone, I recently moved down to St. Pete from Atlanta, GA and have absolutely loved it. What a beautiful city and state this is. I have a question about catching redfish from the surf. Where I am from in GA the bull redfish are found running all along the beach in the early fall months (Oct. Nov.). If you cast out mullet from the surf your chances are very high to hook up with one. I was wondering if the same thing happens here at any point in the fall. I believe that these bull redfish are going out to spawn and run up and down the beach to stock up on food, I could be completely wrong about that. 

Thanks for the help in advance guys and gals! Tight lines!

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,214 Captain
    Can't say for sure, I personally have never caught a redfish off our beaches.  Not that I can recall.  Probably cuz I don't target them there? idk

Most of the bull reds I've caught around the area are near passes and bridges.  Not necessarily inside the passes but the flats inside and close to them.  Just where I've been good at getting them.

I've never seen them stack up like they do at sebastian inslet for example.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to St Pete!!!  If you like it so far, you're gonna fall in love with it.  Best thing going in the state.  For what it is.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    It's not quite the same down here, I have seen schools of bull reds following the shore but, only a few times and it is not something I have ever tried to target. Most of the redfishing I do is along the mangrove shoreline or up creeks. Don't usually get bulls that way though. I have caught bulls trolling for grouper off shore before though.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • TooLooseTooLoose Posts: 55 Greenhorn

I'll second what Surfman said. I have seen massive schools of reds in the passes and running the beaches in the summer, but only on rare occasions - maybe 3 times in the past 6 years. Hard to say if it is a pattern you can forecast. I personally don't know anyone to consistently targets them this way.

Many of the big breader reds will school up in the fall months on the flats. You can generally find them in some of the same areas during the summer if you are on the flat as the sun rises or sets with negative lows on an incoming tide.

St Pete is awesome; no place id rather be. That said, while the fishery is great, at times it is very difficult (i.e. weekends). A lot of pressure... one of the more challenging fisheries in the state in my opinion.  

• Hunt_DrewHunt_Drew St PetersburgPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I figured it would be a lot different considering this is the Gulf and GA is the Atlantic. Glad I am not going to be on the beach wasting my time for these guys lol. 
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Ft Desoto Park, Gulf pier beach....great spot for beach reds and snook
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,054 Officer
    now is the time, typically. Ive found them in inlets stacked up eating finger mullet. its a hit or miss thing. You have to be persistent through the month of Sept.  Over the years ive experienced a few times from the Ft. Desoto area up through Crystal River. Ive yet to see those giant sized schools of hunders and hundreds of bull reds like they do offshore. But the few 40 inch ( to 43") reds ive caught have been in September. Only one was sight casted, the others came off the bottom with either bucktails or finger mullet while snook and tarpon fishing deep water.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,051 Captain
    edited September 2018 #8
    Decades ago wade fishing for reds was outstanding a few hundred feet, north side, of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. 

Anyone know if it still is?