Home Diver's Corner

Headed to Hutchinson Island in late September

GulfCoast1102GulfCoast1102 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
I'm headed to Hutchinson Island in late September for snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, spearfishing, lobsters, etc. I've got Thursday through Saturday to harvest whatever I can harvest. The area is new to me. I'm good diving to around 50 feet or so. Can anyone comment on lobstering at that depth? Any other suggestions? I'm running a Lowrance with a Navionics card. I'll be running out through St Lucie Inlet.

Replies

• watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Theres some good reef in 30-60 ft. Some is marked on navionics, some youll have to find yourself. Youll have a good shot at some big mangroves and muttons in that depth and the kings have been pretty thick this year. Sharks have been pretty bad this year so buddy up and get fish in the boat as quickly as possible. If you lose one then they get pretty fired up and youre unlikely to get any more after that. You might need to consider running north to ft pierce. The discharges down south have the vis pretty wrecked and have made the water unsafe in some areas. 
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Fort Pierce HighBar - it's on Top Spots Maps - pretty long ledge - I've seen guys scuba drift dive it with a friend up top following their bubbles.

That being said did a 90ft scuba dive near there mid August and viz was awful on the bottom.  My recent dives up here near Sebastian in 40-60ft range have been same thing.  

Good Luck