Aluminium boats in salt water

tarpon111tarpon111 SherbrookePosts: 1 Greenhorn
I've got a Princecraft aluminium boat that i've been using up north in Canada. This year, instead of renting a boat daily in Florida, I'm thinking of bringing that boat but it's in salywater. Do you think it's a good idea. I'll wash it everyday. Take note that those boats have rivets.

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,795 Admiral
    I've had Riveted and Welded. Running a Grizzly now and no problems.
    One of the Yachts I use to run was Aluminum and it cost 2 Million Dollars...Have at it.
    No need to wash every day..maybe never..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    The only problem with aluminum boats especially the ones that come from a fresh water environment is that the owners have a tenancy to use non-stainless steel components. Anything attached to the aluminum that is plain steel or galvanized steel will cause major corrosion. If the boat is done right you will have no issues, although I have seen problems with batteries causing bad corrosion on boats that were not wired properly too.

I have a 1448 with a 20hp Sylvan that is about 25 years old and it has been used in salt water most all of it's life and there is zero corrosion on the hull. BUT! I did have to rebuild the transom due to corrosion, this time though, it was because of the pressure treated wood used in the transom by the manufacturer. It is as good as new, even better now. So that is another thing to look out for, No Pressure Treated Lumber, unless you insulate it first like thoroughly coating it with epoxy, like I did with my transom wood.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 422 Deckhand
      I guess I have two problems with aluminum boats.
    One the cheaper boats often have rivets instead of
    welded.Second,riding around in a aluminum boat
    on a hot Fla.day would be a lot like riding around
    in a aluminum frying pan.

• FlecFlec Posts: 504 Officer
    I have an aluminum Xpress bay boat and I have never thought of it as being hot to fish in. If the deck of your boat is a dark color it is going to get hot. I had an Aquasport 200 for a number of years with a grey deck and it would get warm to bare feet, and a GradyWhite with white deck that never got hot. My Xpress deck is white with black tufcoat speckles.
    My only dislike about aluminum boats is the hull slap when facing the wind/chop. But that is a minor issue, just start your fishing with the wind behind you. 
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    They are the most common boats in Australia, I have fished out of them many times and no problems,just wash off after use.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    Any boat with a dark floor is going to get hot or warm, my buddies old Mako had a tan colored floor and it would get hot too. If you have the basic olive drab green then yes, that gets hot. Easiest thing to do is cover it with a vinyl nonslip material like what they use on airboats, works great.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited September 17 #8
    I have a 74 Starcraft that spent its early life in Miami and the ocean. When I got it had tiny little holes where the carpet bunkers met the underside of the boat. This was corrosion (electrolysis?galvanic) caused by the previous owner not cleaning and washing down the boat well. The carpet bunkers did not help it any. This can be a problem.

I also have a buddy with a freshwater only aluminum johnboat and he experienced something similar. His corrosion was from oak leaves rotting in the bottom of the boat and in places he could not clean them out from (under seats and bulkheads). The rotting, we think, combined with rainwater caused some tannic acids that eventually ate a bunch of tiny holes in the boat.

I guess the take home is clean your aluiminum boats well! My Starcraft had a wooden marine plywood floor and never got too hot.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 898 Officer
    edited September 17 #9
    A couple of years ago I sold my old 16' Alumacraft that I had made into a flats boat. It was made in 1956 and mainly used in saltwater its entire life, both when I lived in coastal SC, and then when I moved to Florida 9 years ago. Never had any corrosion problems with it. Nylon slides on the trailer bunks will keep your hull from staying on a wet salty carpet. Use soap ..... just hosing the boat and trailer down after use will NOT remove all the salt. I use one of those spray jugs that are originally sold for washing second story windows and go on your hose. About an inch of  dishwashing detergent and then fill with water. Rinse the boat with clean water afterwards.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!