Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Them Far Inland Creeks...

I'm talking a Canoe or Yak to access from the Gulf. 
You know the ones that turn into freshwater up in the Cabbage Palms  country.
Not the Rivers, the winding creeks that dead in into Swamps and such in the Big Bend.
Think Keaton , Dallus and surrounds...
Winter , do Reds and Trout move up inland in the little 6 ft. deep creeks ?
Blue Crabs ?
What the heck is up their in the Winter..Gotta do something when Hunting Season ends...
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,850 Captain
    6" creeks with 6' pockets. You will get your canoe stuck if you do it right.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,115 AG
    blue crabs are moving out of them right now and reds and trout are fixing to move in.

I got a pond east of me that is accessible only by good hill running airboat, cold winter day it's nothing to catch 50+ redfish.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    No stay out of there.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,487 Admiral
    I don't mind getting stuck. Go in on a fall tide and fish till the water comes back. Do it fairly often down South here. Kinda fun cause the fish are all jammed up .
    ANumber...How deep is that bay or is there deep water close by and the Reds move up into it to warm up ?
    Will 6 ft' of water hold fish regular in the Winter ?
    Got a few bends in these little creeks that push 5 , 6 ft. ...Enough water ?
    I don't mind getting stuck. Go in on a fall tide and fish till the water comes back. Do it fairly often down South here. Kinda fun cause the fish are all jammed up .
    ANumber...How deep is that bay or is there deep water close by and the Reds move up into it to warm up ?
    Will 6 ft' of water hold fish regular in the Winter ?
    Got a few bends in these little creeks that push 5 , 6 ft. ...Enough water ?
    it's a landlocked pond that fills up with reds in the winter..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,941 Captain
    That the pond that's fed by bofa creek?  Just south of dragon island?
    yes~ near the dolla hole
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,850 Captain
    Is that close to medium point?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD said:
    Is that close to medium point?
    That's Mediocre Pt to us locals
    Soooo , How Deep is this D.amm pond anyways ? Will 6 ft.  deep Back Country Creeks hold fish thru the Winter or not..
    This ain't old Home week with you Big Bend guys , This is Business here..
    I got to have some place to fish in Jan. after Hunting Season ...or I'm coming to your house to sit on the porch and drink beer..might eat some of your food as well...
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,011 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    yes~ near the dolla hole
    Didn’t billy h chase u out of there? Lol
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    yes~ near the dolla hole
    he has no clue where it's at,..
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,681 Captain
    Soooo , How Deep is this D.amm pond anyways ? Will 6 ft.  deep Back Country Creeks hold fish thru the Winter or not..
    This ain't old Home week with you Big Bend guys , This is Business here..
    I got to have some place to fish in Jan. after Hunting Season ...or I'm coming to your house to sit on the porch and drink beer..might eat some of your food as well...
    Ill tell you if you stop putting “winning” at the end of every post
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,959 Captain
    edited September 2018 #15
    This is what some of those little tiny finger creeks look like on a big negative low tide..... 

https://i.imgur.com/QVlyV7j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zh61j56.jpg
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,209 Moderator
    ^^ Answers his previous oyster questions..  LOL
    "You'll get your weather"
    Thanks Jim !!
    I see it's still holding water so I'm good !
    And Capt Louie your Spot On...Look at all them Oysters...better bring crackers and a shucking knife in the boat....perfect..
    Ohoops...Forgot..Winning..!
    TRT , these creeks are really no different than the ones you are used to except there are no trees to deal with and the variety of fish is much less. Just a cross wind to mess up your cast. :)  The bends will be washed out and deeper, best to fish them on an incoming tide that way you have little fear of getting stuck at least for the first few times you go up them. Some have lots of rocks and oysters, some have sandy bottoms. Often times the washed out bends have rocks in them. I typically trow a gold spoon or work a jig if there aren't a lot of oysters.
    Tight Lines, Steve

Thanks Surfman !
    Will the fish stay in them creeks during Winter ? 6 ft. ?
    The creeks I fish down here in the 10 K Islands mosty hold fish in Summer . When it's real cold they head for mud bottom bays in the far Back Country and lay up some.
    The Land of 10 Thousand Casts....
    Not worried about getting stuck..Kinda look forward to it.
    Most creeks will have a very small channel w some sand bars mixed in leading out. Usually winding.  I’m sure you can read the water and find your way in and out when it’s calm. You probably won’t get stuck except if the wind is pushing water out with a super low tide. And 6 feet can be plenty deep in winter. The deeper the better, but sometimes they will be stacked like chord wood in a 6-8’ bend. Go get em
    I can Read a Creek like nobody's business.. Not worried about Stuck. I'll take a Yak or a Canoe and lunch. Crackers for them oysters..
    I'm just wondering if 6 ft. in them Tight bends will hold fish or are they Offshore in 20 ft' looking for warmer waters.
    yes, in the winter they move east, most of them creeks are black mud bottom and will warm up faster than the outside, some have small springs which also warm up water.

I can Read a Creek like nobody's business.. Not worried about Stuck. I'll take a Yak or a Canoe and lunch. Crackers for them oysters..
    I'm just wondering if 6 ft. in them Tight bends will hold fish or are they Offshore in 20 ft' looking for warmer waters.
    It’s in my last post
    edited September 2018 #26
    Yes, they will be there, I fish them all year and catch plenty. Just slow down your retrieve. :)

During winter, when it gets really cold, a lot of people like to fish in the main rivers in the deep holes for trout. You will see them anchored up all along the channel. Some use lures like slow sinking mirro-lures but most use shrimp. Not really my style of fishing but it is very popular, especially with the GA crowd.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,879 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    yes~ near the dolla hole
    I thought he knows eveything?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    There are some good creeks I ride my bike too in the Lower Suwanee National WR. Lots of old Indian middens.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,879 Admiral
    AC Man said:
    8ANUMBER1 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    yes~ near the dolla hole
    I thought he knows eveything?
    That was sarcasm coming at you.