Home General Paddle Craft

Is A Trailer Overkill For A Paddle Kayak?

I just sold my OK Prowler 13 so the new kayak decision begins.

As if that's not enough I'm also debating my hauling strategy between car topping and a trailer.

The car topping is nice because I already have the racks, don't have to find a place to park a trailer, no trailer maintenance nor trailer theft concerns, etc., "AND" I don't have to buy a trailer!  :smile:

BUT...........although I'm extremely healthy and fit I'm at a stage in my life that I also don't like the hassle of installing the racks on my car and removing them when I return and it is a bit of a hassle taking everything off and out of the kayak, putting everything into my car trunk and then removing it when I get home.  Also as the kayaks have gotten heavier, even the paddle ones, it's becoming a bit of a chore to put the kayak on top of the car, remove it, etc.

Surely I'm not the only one here who has debated this exact issue so I'd be extremely appreciative to hear your thoughts.

In advance, thanks!

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,376 Admiral
    There is nothing wrong with making things easier. It certainly makes loading and unloading easier but like you said then you have parking problems, trailer theft problems and so on. So you need to weigh the options, and figure out what is best all around for you and your situation.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Do you have a place to store the trailer at home?  Would you just leave the kayak on the trailer?  That might help resolve a kayak storage issue.  I went through the same decision process, even considering a trailer I could hook onto a bicycle.  heh.  And I'm older than you and couldn't consider hefting even a lightweight kayak on top of a vehicle.  I bit the bullet and bought a truck.

It strikes me you're trading one set of problems/issues for another.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,365 Captain
    Trailer may make it easier for some, but a PITA for me.  Needs to be stowed somewhere, parked somewhere, and takes up space I would rather not use for that..... my 2 cents.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 525 Officer
    Thanks so much everyone for your comments as your thoughts and concerns are exactly the same as mine.

I have plenty of room to store kayak and trailer here but while on the road and fishing I see the trailer as a true PITA myself.

Soooooooooooooo.......It's either buy a truck or hit the gym.  :)
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,630 Captain
    A truck is the best but a carrying a 4' ladder works for me in the back of my SUV.  I have both and the truck is much easier.  I weigh 145 and am over 75.
  • paddleharderpaddleharder Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Bass Pro shops sells an extender that goes on your trailer hitch. I have one for my canoe and it works wonders. The back of the canoe rests on it and I just use some tie straps to secure it. The tag ends of the straps can be used for securing coolers and rods. Just make sure you have a red flag on the end and I also put some reflective tape on it as well. I showed it to a state trooper and he said I was good to go.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 973 Officer
    Solo, ive got no issues hauling on the top of my element, but i usually take the fleet, so i have put together a trailer.
    Usually cop out and use rhe trailer for solo runs too.
    Way less theft here.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 227 Deckhand
    My Prowker 13 fits fine in my Ford F150 with tailgate down and no extender. I do use red flag. It is a lot easier than doing a military press to put it on my old explorer. 
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 381 Deckhand
    i have a truck  when i go solo.but when taking 2 i have a trailer. One thing about the trailer that is nice is when i get home i just unhook it and push it to the backyard with the kayaks on it , ready to go next time.  If you can keep the kayak on the trailer, the trailer is the way to go. Plus with a trailer you can also rig it out with a cooler...storage for camping ..etc.