Home Off Topic

Nike 30th Anniversary "Just Do It" Campaign

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,079 Admiral
    If you read the facts more white people are killed by police. Yet 51 % of violent crimes are commited by 13% of the population.  Yet the news media don't print the truth. A certain group of people can't handle the trurh.
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain
    frank said:
    surfman said:
    He is protesting a non-issue.
    Disagree 
    he is protesting the unequal treatment of people perceived to be black by law enforcement agencies in the United States, it is a problem 
    Nike is disingenuous at best in championing his cause 
    Oh, please. 

There are hundreds of thousands of various LEO's in this country who have personal interaction of some sort with people of all races millions of times a year. Apparently just in New York City there are over 1 million calls alone the officers respond to...this apparently doesn't include random stops. 

There are relatively few people shot yearly by LEO's, and the last stats I saw indicated they shot more white people than black. 

I'll have to try and look up the the total number of blacks shot by LEO's so far this year, I'm betting the total is less than the number of blacks shot by other blacks in just one or two weekends in Chicago.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,065 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    Nike's plan to boost on-line sales in 2018

https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2017/nike-focuses-on-ecommerce-over-brick-and-mortar/

Another chart showing the online sales. Its basically the same as last year, just boosted up because Nike has a bigger on-line presence.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-07/nike-orders-rose-in-four-day-period-after-kaepernick-ad-debut
      Perhaps you can expalin how Nike's sales is $34 billion a year? 

I guess you’re arguing that Nike must know what they’re doing or else they wouldn’t have picked KC?

I don't beieve it's just good luck to reach sales of that level. Smeone at Nike has to know what they are doing?

I don't believe it's just good luck to reach sales of that level. Someone at Nike has to know what they are doing?

Vote for the other candidate
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Nike's plan to boost on-line sales in 2018

https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2017/nike-focuses-on-ecommerce-over-brick-and-mortar/

Another chart showing the online sales. Its basically the same as last year, just boosted up because Nike has a bigger on-line presence.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-07/nike-orders-rose-in-four-day-period-after-kaepernick-ad-debut
      Perhaps you can expalin how Nike's sales is $34 billion a year? 

I guess you’re arguing that Nike must know what they’re doing or else they wouldn’t have picked KC?

I don't beieve it's just good luck to reach sales of that level. Smeone at Nike has to know what they are doing?

I don't believe it's just good luck to reach sales of that level. Someone at Nike has to know what they are doing?

That depends on factors that still need to play out. Nike has almost double the revenue of their nearest competitor, so yes I agree the company is very sucessful. But very sucessful companies make blunders too. Sometimes those blunders hinder future success. Only 25% of Nike’s sales are in/to North America. The other 75% are international sales. Do people outside the US know or care who KC is? I don’t know. Is KC a symbol of anti Americanism abroad and Nike wants to tap into that? Again, I don’t know. Are there simply execs in Nike that are making a mostly ideological decision? Or is it a financial decision that ideology has scewed (making them think there’s enough people out there who agree with them that will offset angry consumers, when in fact that’s an incorrect assessment)? Again, unknown. 

That’s why I think the rational actor model is a poor model for predicting much. The model presumes people mostly act in a way that’s consistent with what a hypothetical person would do in his or her self political, economic, or military, self-interest after considering various factors in a dry and unemotional way. However, it fails to take into account ideology’s subjective role and how ideology influences perception. Some people are perfectly willing to burn it all down to achieve an ideological goal. And others believe that their actions won’t burn it all down due to some sort of ideologically considered factor. For example, if the Iranians really believe Allah will pluck US nukes from the sky if they provoke a nuclear exhange, it wouldn’t be irrational for them to do just that in their own minds. Finally people often don’t even begin to use ration when making decisions and rely entirely on emotion or intuition, even very smart and experienced people who should know better. 

Time will tell for Nike. 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,033 AG
    Market Summary > Nike Inc
    Follow
    NYSE: NKE
    82.18 USD +1.88 (2.34%)
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,065 AG
    Very good.  Now let's compare Nike to Wells Fargo Bank that is unbelievably still in business.

Vote for the other candidate
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,079 Admiral
    The main man that ows nike is worth $25 b.

He said he's going to leave his money in trust.

If he paid his workers a decent wage he wouldn't have to worry about giving so much money.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    If you read the facts more white people are killed by police. Yet 51 % of violent crimes are commited by 13% of the population.  Yet the news media don't print the truth. A certain group of people can't handle the trurh.
    No one cares about the facts.....
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Back to where it was before the announcement 

Market Summary > Nike Inc
    Follow
    NYSE: NKE
    83.02 USD +0.93 (1.13%)
    Sep 11, 12:59 PM EDT · 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,036 AG
    edited September 2018 #131
    Since some seem to believe that the ultimate measure of worth is stock price, it's curious to see that NKE just broke an all time high.
    Guess that shoe burning isn't going so well.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    Morons are probably buying shoes to burn.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    edited September 2018 #133
    That would be rather stupid, but then again I'm guessing that anyone who would burn a shoe over an ad isn't that smart to begin with.
    On a related note, how's Papa John's stock doing these days?
    For some odd reason that graph is not so pretty. 
    I guess the pizza eating patriots are buying shoes to burn instead.
    ...or, to interject a bit of reality into the discussion, Nike doesn't need nor want the shoe-burner's dollar and is doing just fine.
    It must really be unsettling when the world's largest shoe and sports apparel company thumbs its nose at an entire segment of the US population and supports an athlete who is unafraid to stand up for what they think is right and put his face and his name (and now the entire brand) behind it.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    I see both sides of the issue.

But it seems very risky and emotional for Nike to have done what they did. Only time will tell.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    That would be rather stupid, but then again I'm guessing that anyone who would burn a shoe over an ad isn't that smart to begin with.
    ...or, to interject a bit of reality into the discussion, Nike doesn't need nor want the shoe-burner's dollar and is doing just fine.
    It must really be unsettling when the world's largest shoe and sports apparel company thumbs its nose at an entire segment of the US population and supports an athlete who is unafraid to stand up for what they think is right and put his face and his name (and now the entire brand) behind it.
    What is the reason for comparing Papa John's to Nike?  Do they use conservative athletes or cops in their ads, or something?
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    My favorite Nike add,
    edited September 2018 #137
    What is the reason for comparing Papa John's to Nike?  Do they use conservative athletes or cops in their ads, or something?
    Good evening, Jeff.  You're on the right track....
    Papa John's took one side.   Nike took the other.
    While stock price is not the only valuation of a corporation that matters, certainly it's a useful measure and the picture it paints says perhaps Kaep and Nike are on the right side of this....as opposed to Papa John's and those who express similar sentiments.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    While stock price is not the only valuation of a corporation that matters, certainly it's a useful measure and the picture it paints says perhaps Kaep and Nike are on the right side of this....as opposed to Papa John's and those who express similar sentiments.
    Believe in something, even if it costs you everything... B)
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,089 AG
    edited September 2018 #139
    Papa Johns problems are not from "taking sides" on this issue,. They are a little deeper than that. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Didnt papa John's take the stance of distancing themselves from a guy who said a racist comment?

How exactly did papa John's choose the opposite of Nike? 
    edited September 2018 #141
    Reel Teal said:
    Didnt papa John's take the stance of distancing themselves from a guy who said a racist comment?

How exactly did papa John's choose the opposite of Nike? 
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21250448/nfl-sponsor-papa-john-not-happy-anthem-protests

https://www.businessinsider.com/papa-johns-cuts-ties-with-the-nfl-after-national-anthem-protests-2018-2
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    But papa John's as a whole did not agree and got rid of their founder a month later bc of it I thought. I dont think they are comparable and I dont see which side papa John's took. They made a business decision bc of bad sales, then made a moral one against their founder once they were able to. 

I think some are reaching 
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    edited September 2018 #143
    Colin is so ungrateful. I feel so sorry for his family. Could you imagine how his adopted family feel. He should do his family a favour and change his last name to whatever his real father's is. He fits in with those people.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18247113/colin-kaepernick-parents-break-silence-speak-support-criticized-quarterback

His birth mom shares your thoughts....Then again....

Colin's birth mother, Heidi Russo, scolded the quarterback on Twitter during the early days of his protest, tweeting, "There's ways to make change w/o disrespecting and bringing shame to the very country and family who afforded you so many blessings." In a subsequent tweet, she added, "The path less traveled doesn't need to be one of destruction. #beenthere #besmarter #berespectful."

Heidi Russo‏ @Heidirn1

I'd like to be very clear on this issue, I absolutely support Colin standing up 4 what he believes in. Racism is alive & well in America.

12:12 PM - 31 Aug 2016

Reel Teal said:
    But papa John's as a whole did not agree and got rid of their founder a month later bc of it I thought. I dont think they are comparable and I dont see which side papa John's took. They made a business decision bc of bad sales, then made a moral one against their founder once they were able to. 

I think some are reaching 
    If you are referring to me as "some", then I agree.   It was a bit of a stretch.

Then again it's hard to find anyone in a position of corporate power stupid enough to say the things that Papa John said, so reaching was necessary to find the counter-example of Nike/Kaepernick.

In related news, NKE set a new intraday record high today and then slipped back a bit in late day trading to close down twenty three cents (-0.28%).   PZZA lost another 1% of its value today.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    Heidi Russo‏ @Heidirn1

I'd like to be very clear on this issue, I absolutely support Colin standing up 4 what he believes in. Racism is alive & well in America.

I agree, it is promoted daily....
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,812 Captain
    Heidi Russo‏ @Heidirn1

And I support all the men and women who have really given their all so silly Colin can disrespect them.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 7,053 Admiral
    You're not going to see a huge sway in Nike because it is supported buy huge funds. I was very surprised to hear feedback from my customers and the community. It seems like the biggest majority of customers are totally against their decisions. I could care less I prefer to buy American-made tennis shoes
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
    edited September 2018 #149
    Gary S said:
    Heidi Russo‏ @Heidirn1

And I support all the men and women who have really given their all so silly Colin can disrespect them.
    Do you think it is possible to support both, or is this issue a zero sum game in your eyes?
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,798 Captain
    Gary S said:
    Heidi Russo‏ @Heidirn1

Do you think it is possible to support both, or is this issue a zero sum game in your eyes?
    I don't think you can support both in the manner they are protesting (kneeling).
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I’m glad Justin and Tony Lama boots don’t have these problems.