Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Saturday inshore 9/1/18 Matlacha

Spent the morning with good buddy Tom. Plan was to get to Matlacha boat ramp as soon as it opened, go catch our white bait, then go explore the north end of matlacha into charlotte harbor. Well, plan didnt start the way we wanted... Was at the entrance to the boat ramp before 7, and had a 1/2 dozen boats ahead of us.. perfect, no biggie. Got in, prepped boat as the others launched and we were backing in the water by 710... Motor fired up quick but buzzer going off... it is a 90 yamaha 2 stroke, so only a couple things will throw the buzzer... quickly isolated to low oil... no biggie. Oil added and alarm off. Go to restart and no juice.... didnt have any of tools aboard other than a couple screw drivers, so got to isolating issues... Ended up being the neatral safety switch on the motor iself had actually fallen out and wasnt being engaged... puhed the button down and boom, instant start.   Was about 8 AM by the time we got it all squared away... 

We ditched the bait catching idea and just decided to throw lures for the day. We ended up fishing the North end of matlacha pass.  first lines in the water around 8:30 or so.  Worked the bars at the NE tip of Matlacha and shoreline. Got to see a giant school of reds working FAST across some extremely shallow water. Couldn't get ahead of them due to shallow water and strong winds, but awesome to see.  The water was super clear and clean everywhere... Managed a couple decent trout, a big jack cravalle, and a lady fish or two. Was nice to be on the water when we couldn't get offshore. Lots of sea life abound. Back at the dock early today. Fantastic day on the water with a good buddy.

got a call asking about chartering for monday... TS Gordon ruined that!

Nice jack
decent trout

Looking forward to this fantastic forecasted weather this weekend to get back offshore after a soggy weekend from TS Gordon. 

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,840 Moderator
    There is something about being in a smaller boat, it has a charm of it`s own. I have to get my little Panga wet it has been a yard ornament since last fall. Thanks for the water report.
    larrywitt
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,179 Officer
    yeah that redundant neutral safety switch is a PIA on the old 90's. One morning i made it out, stopped for tripletail and was dead and confused on the water. Mine snapped off. After about an hour and once i figured out i could  do a manual override we continued on. Not exactly the 1st thing one thinks of when no juice.
    love a small boat, Its nice to be able to fish for reds in 6 inches of water or land a 150 lb tarpon along the beach from the same boat. 
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 805 Officer
    Larry, you are spot on... trailering the 33 world cat for offshore is a chore/job in itself. The launching and loading of the flats boat is so easy in comparison... 

permit, it was a bit of a pain... checked the obvious stuff first... tilt and trim was still working, and fuse was good, so started hunting to see if there was a loose ground somewhere, neutral safety at the control box... once those were all checked, i tried a quick bypass of the neutral safety at the controls... nothing there, so checked at the motor and low and behold there she was sitting in the bottom of the cowel under everything.  rremoved the rear switch as the one at the controls was still intact and working just fine, and off we went! 
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral