Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hubbard's trolling - losing fish please help

I'm using a Penn 9/0, 100lb braid to about 25' of 100lb mono (fg knot).  large ball bearing swivel to the planer then around 25' of 100lb mono to a gold spoon.

The spoon is a typical spoon you'd use for kings, around 5-6" with a single hook.

I hooked eight times today on the half day and only landed one!  I could get the fish in about half way. they'd flop in the waves and come off.

I had the line any where from 50-75 yards out, maybe more.

What can I do to land more of these fish?  Get a 2 speed so I can get them in quicker?

Replies

• suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Not sure this is your issue, but any rods that I use 100% for trolling, I spool solely with mono for stretch. 50' of 100 lb should give you some stretch, but might not be quite enough to keep from popping the lure out of the fish's mouth. Might not hurt to try a spoon with a trailing treble. If all else fails, copy the successful guys sitting next to you...
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 710 Officer
    SuperMutu said:
    I'm using a Penn 9/0, 100lb braid to about 25' of 100lb mono (fg knot).  large ball bearing swivel to the planer then around 25' of 100lb mono to a gold spoon.

The spoon is a typical spoon you'd use for kings, around 5-6" with a single hook.

I hooked eight times today on the half day and only landed one!  I could get the fish in about half way. they'd flop in the waves and come off.

I had the line any where from 50-75 yards out, maybe more.

What can I do to land more of these fish?  Get a 2 speed so I can get them in quicker?
    Honestly, there's not all that much you can do in that situation.  All that skipping and tumbling at the surface with the boat moving at cruising speed just knocks fish off the hook.  Most of those fish aren't large enough to pull any drag on the heavy setups you need to troll on that boat, so the shock of the initial strike tears a big hole in their mouth from the get go.  And since the boat doesn't slow down, the plane up to the surface and start skipping and bouncing on the surface, making it super hard to keep consistent pressure without any moments of slack.  The smaller the fish, the more they will tumble head over heels, and when that happens the hook juts flips out of the tear in the mouth.

Trying to bring them in faster will just cause more tumbling, so that won't help you much.  Bringing them in slow and steady will keep the tumbling to a minimum, but the longer it takes, the more can go wrong in the retrieval.  I would try bringing them in slow and very steady, trying to find the sweet spot in retrieval speed that keeps the fish pointed at you and head in the water, that might be the best method.  But, really, it's probably just the nature of the beast and not so much anything that you are doing wrong.  Even the trolling experts on that boat lose a lot of fish to shake-offs, particularly in the shallower stuff when it's mostly smaller mackerel and kings.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,782 Moderator
    Try pointing the rod at the fish and use the reel as a winch to eliminate the force of the rod flexing which increases the bounce
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 413 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tips.

On the last hook up I tried a slow, steady retrieve which was going well, but the fish came off about 30 yards out.

I think I will try going braid to around 25 yards of 80lb mono, then 50' of 80lb to the spoon.  I'm thinking the extra stretch might help.  

I'm also thinking of ways to switch that single j hook to a large treble. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    This seems weird - are you just reeling or are you pumping the fish in?  Those single hook hold pretty well most of the time.

How big are the fish?  a 32-inch king or a 24-inch mackerel is too small for a 6-inch spoon.  A 3 or 4-inch spoon might give you a better hook-set and grip.

The problem is flopping the fish across the top of the water - anyway to get them to swim up to the boat?

I don't see any real issues with the rig, do you have trace wire in front of spoon? 

You could cut down to just 50# test if you wanted to.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I'm surprised they even let you bring that rod on the boat with braid on it, most head boats don't allow that stuff because it tangled too easy with the other fishermen. I am assuming you only use that rod to troll with?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
     Contrary to what some other people of said I wouldn’t change much. What I normally use for trolling is a 3 1/2 drone spoon. This has a large single hook, and it is5 1/2”. I have caught lots of small fish, for Example 5 pound hard tails (blue runners).  Very rare that a hit gets away.
    surfman said:
    I'm surprised they even let you bring that rod on the boat with braid on it, most head boats don't allow that stuff because it tangled too easy with the other fishermen. I am assuming you only use that rod to troll with?
    I only use this combo for trolling.  However, I do use a light jigging combo with braid and top shot for the rest of the fishing.

I have been trying to make an excuse to buy a tiagra 50 or tld 50 for trolling.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,056 Captain
    "I'm surprised they even let you bring that rod on the boat with braid on it, most head boats don't allow that stuff because it tangled too easy with the other fishermen. I am assuming you only use that rod to troll with?"  Me too!

Wish everyone would use braid only for trolling. Personally I have absolutely nothing against. However, I hear this much too often, per John Martin's latest report:

"As soon as my bait hit bottom I was hooked up on a nice AJ. Looking around so were many others. The bite was ON! I did eventually get “Sawed” of by braid''.
    Dillon mentioned some guy had 200lb braid and hooked an aj which proceeded to cut lines.

I cut someone off once.  They were hooked up, I saw him coming my way and I started cranking in as fast as I could to get out of his way.  I came tight on one half way up and cut the other guy off.
    Hooked 3 and lost 3 today.

I changed out the 100lb mono to about double the length of 80lb.  I also added a ball bearing swivel to the split ring on the spoon.  

No issues hooking up, it's landing them that is giving me fits.

Next I think I'll replace the j hook with a treble.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Flip the hook on that spoon.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 710 Officer
    Flip the hook on that spoon.
    I don't think we can blame your fish coming off on this, but yes, the hook is supposed to be facing "down" on the drone spoons.
    Should my drag be locked down?
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,000 Officer
    Sometimes you do everything right and it goes wrong, and vice versa.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
    SuperMutu said:
    No, not unless you are fishing for Wahoo,  which have very bony mouths.
    Nitzey said:
    SuperMutu said:
    No, not unless you are fishing for Wahoo,  which have very bony mouths.
    I wonder if this isn't my problem.