The economy

Its great hereabouts. Cant find any skilled workers though. The only folks out of work are those that don't want to work.

How are things going by you?

Replies

• billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    I keep hearing that industrial maintenance workers are going to be in high demand because younger people don,t want to work. I have not seen a major increase in job offerings or much increased pay. I have seen some local millwright/maint. Companies booming and busting at the seams. The trucking industry is having a hard time keeping drivers it seems.  But I am not sure if their pay has been increased to help get more drivers. Seems like supply and demand would come into play
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,816 AG
    The husband and wife team that are siding my house was talking to me yesterday about not being able to find anyone that wants to work. There is plenty of work of all trades around here.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 5,706 Moderator
    A lot of pressure on small businesses versus large. Most smalls are being gobbled up.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,141 Admiral
    Help is really holding this country back. If you find a young person that will show up on time, has a drivers license, does not lay out at least 1 day a week, you have found a rarity. I am not just talking teenagers but 20-35 year old people with children and responsibilities.  
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,750 AG
    Unemployment so low even Kaepernick has a job :D 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,408 Captain

Economy is good but like everyone else has said. Can't find any good help. Nobody wants to work and nobody dang sure wants to pick up garbage. Mighty hard to find mechanics willing to work on garbage trucks either.

Industrial maintenance as billybob said will be a good trade and apparently pays well. My son has NO experience on that side but does have some automotive mechanical experience just got a job in industrial maintenance at almost $29 hour.

• FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,981 Captain
    edited September 2018 #8
    I have just started a Mechatronics (Industrial Maintenance) pathway at Coffee High.  We got our instructor credentialed for Wiregrass Georgia Technical College.  These folks get dual credit for taking these courses.  Students can finish their Associates degree while in high school and either go straight into the workforce or, if they desire, they can transfer their degree to Kennesaw State and enter as a junior in one of several engineering degree programs.

Soft skills have been, and will continue to be, the biggest problem facing employers today.  When you're not held accountable for anything at home and your mama goes to the school to complain every time you get in trouble, how are you to learn to be a responsible adult?  Absences, tardies, social media addiction...  I've been hearing this from our business and industry partners ever since I took over this job 13 years ago.  It isn't showing much improvement.  We do everything we can to enforce the policies in place but, in far too many cases, mama and/or daddy ain't havin' it if we try to do anything punitive if the babies don't do what they're supposed to.

"We have gotten so enamored with occupying the corner office that we have forgotten how to build the corner office." 
    ~ Mike Rowe
    Proverbs 13:3
    edited September 2018 #10
    Ferris, the formula, right now is 1:2:7  For every job that requires a master's degree or higher, there are 2 that require a bachelor's, and 7 require a 1 or 2 year certificate.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,957 Captain
    Brad can they transfer to ga southern?they have mechtronics degree now. The boy started st SPSU(refuse to call it ksu) in mechtronics , but dropped to electrical engineering degree. The nephew is at gsu in me and thinking about mechtronics. 
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    Brotherinlaw where is your son working at?   I've been at this for a while.  Decades and not making much more than that.  I am heavy mechanical and electrical , Vfds and instruments and calibrations PLC.  I have been looking but nothing yet.  Took  cut in pay to work straight day shift , now working 60 hrs week. 
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,992 Captain
    I can only speak to construction, wages are being held down by the influx of hispanic workers, who will work for much less. Construction workers have not seen a raise in pay in decades, true Americans are being forced out by our open immigration and reluctance to forcibly remove offenders of border jumping.
    Rather than hire illegals and work for less myself, I found a new endeavor after 40 + years of building.

F the feds
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,807 AG
    billybob said:
    The trucking industry is having a hard time keeping drivers it seems. 
    And this wont change, the job isn't worth the time some companies want you to stay from home.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,807 AG
    Bodine said:
    true Americans are being forced out by our open immigration and reluctance to forcibly remove offenders of border jumping.

And lack of serious fines for companies that hire. There should be a mandatory federal E-verify. Non compliance = huge sanctions against the company.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,289 Admiral
    Bodine said:
    true Americans are being forced out by our open immigration and reluctance to forcibly remove offenders of border jumping.

And lack of serious fines for companies that hire. There should be a mandatory federal E-verify. Non compliance = huge sanctions against the company.

Build the wall............. legal immigration only to fill necessary job vacancies............ No more immigrants that jump onto the free ride welfare programs as soon as they arrive.......      Decent pay - Pay taxes - No job - no stay.
    Trout,

I don't know if it will transfer to GSU or not.  The folks at Wiregrass said they've got their agreement with Kennesaw and didn't mention anywhere else. I'll see if I can find out.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,408 Captain
    billybob you have im