What eats catfish?

not as bait but in the natural food chain?  Just wondering why these horrible creatures exist 

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,167 Captain
    People, tarpon, sharks, egrets, ospreys...
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,178 Captain
    Kmagnuss pretty much nailed it.  I could see snook taking out a few as well.  
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,351 Officer
    Cobia love em
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,680 Captain
    Seen gators eat them. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,584 Moderator
    I used to use them for Jewfish bait.  I assume they would also eat them even if they were not hooked on the end of a line as bait
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 171 Deckhand
    Second on the cobia. The average cobia stomach has almost as many 6-8" hardheads as blue crabs.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Third to mention cobia. Snip off the poisonous spine and use them for bait.

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,799 Captain
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,359 Captain
    In winter in the 'glades you'd have to work to get anything inshore to eat one... but in summer, a really small hardhead (less than seven inches if you can find them that small....) makes a great live bait.  They'll even withstand getting crunched by a big tarpon... and still be live and kicking afterwards (that hardhead..,,).   I rig and fish them just like they were mullet.... and everything eats them.  You can actually hear them grunting in your live well before you ever put one on the hook so predators have no trouble finding them...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,312 Captain
    Nitzey said:
    Third to mention cobia. Snip off the poisonous spine and use them for bait.

And a fourth.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,854 AG
    i wanted to snip the spines off them in the Keys and float them by Vaca cut for Tarpon last year but never got the chance.    Lots of stuff eats them, hell if a  sailcat is big enough it's coming home for dinner. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 634 Officer
    Cobia also eat a lot of baby stingrays; found many a cobia stomach with stingray barbs completely covered in scar tissue within the stomach wall itself.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,022 Officer
    Here's a Gag that I caught while trolling a plug. He still had a Catfish in his throat.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,359 Captain
    Forgot to mention that no catfish goes in my live well without having all three barbs snapped off first... You don't ever want to reach in a livewell where there's a catfish that's still equipped with them - that could ruin your day...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 634 Officer
    Forgot to mention that no catfish goes in my live well without having all three barbs snapped off first... You don't ever want to reach in a livewell where there's a catfish that's still equipped with them - that could ruin your day...
    Not only that, but if you use a dip net to pull your bait out of the well, those spines can become permanently tangled in the mesh.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,627 Captain
    I couldn’t catch any finger mullet, for flounder, but kept catching tiny cats. I was desperate, so I kept the cats for bait. The flounder had no problem biting them.
  • GigUmGigUm Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    not as bait but in the natural food chain?  Just wondering why these horrible creatures exist 
    Me. I love catfish. 
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,217 Captain
    Savemyriver has some sort of recipe he is always rambling about, but I won’t touch it! 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 448 Deckhand
    Yeah the editor of the waterline likes them also. I tried sailcats once and it would be better than starving to death
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 298 Deckhand
    I hope you’re referring to saltwater catfish in the original question. Freshwater catfish are many peoples favorite fish to eat including me.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,952 Admiral
    Lostconch said:
    Yeah the editor of the waterline likes them also. I tried sailcats once and it would be better than starving to death
    Lol. Yea that's about my assessment too. But I tried them twice. Once was ok, the second time something was just...off