Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Nassau Sound (George Crady Bridge) 08-25-18 report

79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
edited August 2018 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
I didn't expect to do good on Saturday. Full moon forecast to be on Sunday so I decided to fish Saturday and see how the fishing was.  I wanted to fish the last couple hours and see if Sunday was worth fishing.  The finger mullet is insane on the shore and on the bridge.  The first hour I was greeted by the big blue fish. Each fish cut my leader as soon as I try to net it.  I finally get lucky and caught three before the fish stopped biting. The tarpon was under the piling smashing the mullet.  I seen some from 40 pounds to 100 plus tarpon.  One ate my mullet and cut me off in 5 seconds.  Knowing that I don't have much time left I went immediately to flounder fishing before the tide started  to change.  I worked each piling before founding one. I don't do much fishing on the first two hours of the outgoing the current is too fast.  The thirds hour is the best for whitings but since tarpon was around the whiting was small in numbers.  The most important thing I learned is timing the tide and know when to fish and not.  The last hours of the outgoing I used cut mullet and live shrimp and too see what will bite. The piling has always been my best friend. The black drum was caught on live shrimp but I have to peeled the bottom half of the shrimp to give it scent because outgoing water clarity is dirty so scent is the key.  The redfish was the same. I used fresh cut mullet.

Sunday

Today I caught 3 black drums and one nice slot redfish. The blue fish disappear after I got some steel leader setup for them. The current was too strong. The tarpon  was active during most of outgoing and incoming tide.  Fishing was very slow.  unfortunately i didn't get a chance to take pics. Mom accidentally lock the house door. Been busy trying to find the key.  Full moon is always a challenge. 

Replies

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,873 Captain
    Great report and catch!

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,593 Captain
    thanks for the report!!
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 722 Officer
    That's impressive given the number of people on that pier/bridge...drove by on Saturday and it had a good number of peeps on it.  Although after reading your reports over the past year, you know that place well as well as the tides.  Well done.
  • shamlin32shamlin32 Posts: 21 Deckhand
    Cool report and great catches.
  • LargefryLargefry Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Thought you would have killed it looking at tidal coefficient Saturday. Still nice haul mayor. Know you were working those pilings crazy for flounder.. All on fresh shrimp? Not your usual live mullet tank. get the stupid pop up bar which overlays your report..
  • 79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Largefry said:
    Thought you would have killed it looking at tidal coefficient Saturday. Still nice haul mayor. Know you were working those pilings crazy for flounder.. All on fresh shrimp? Not your usual live mullet tank. get the stupid pop up bar which overlays your report..
    if the spadefish are around. I used live shrimp.
  • Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report.  I am especially appreciative for the tarpon info.
    I went down for a few minutes on Sat evening to see if any Tarpon were working. Was only there 10 minutes (had kids needing to get to bed) and saw one.
    It looks like i need to get down there and begin heaving at them.
    I will be the guy throwing a 12 inch Sluggo or Hogy at them... so please stop me if you see me and say hello.
    I would love to meet you in person.