Fort Pierce

My friend just got a new kayak so he wanted me to show him some spots on where to take it out and try our luck catching fish. We started at Bear Point at 630am and started throwing topwater plugs. We had some hits but no fish. We switched to jigs and again no luck. We loaded up and went to the North Causeway Park.  We paddled around the spoil islands and again some hits but no fish. I got a birds nest and my line broke, as I was hand lining it in a fish (may have been a red) almost engulfed my lure.  I pulled on he line as fast I could to correct the problem. It was like the fish knew the lure wasn't attached to the reel.  We left about 1230pm with no fish but it was fun being out there - maybe next time we can christen his kayak with a fish. Good luck all.

Replies

• theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 36 Greenhorn
    Good work trying to connect. Sorry to say you are least 10 years to late. The Orlando Sewer dumps have destroyed the river. Just thing about 68,000,000 people coming to Disney world and every toilet flush winds up in the Indian River! Welcome to the Orlando Sewer!
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 215 Deckhand
    It is sad !!
    Nearly 1 million gallons of sewage leaked into the IRL recently. Who knows how long sewage had been leaking into the lagoon.
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I used to spend allot of time up that way and was one areas that I really enjoyed more than most others.

It saddens me greatly that my son will not have that experience too.

But I believe it is primarily attributable to the Lake O dumping, not sewers. The standards on discharges from treatment plants is higher than that for drinking water.

This is on the Army Core of Engineers who control the discharges and because of fear for the **** integrity around Lake O.

Haha, the word "dike" mispelled with a "y" was redacted, funny stuff there.

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,650 Captain
    My friend just got a new kayak so he wanted me to show him some spots on where to take it out and try our luck catching fish. We started at Bear Point at 630am and started throwing topwater plugs. We had some hits but no fish. We switched to jigs and again no luck. We loaded up and went to the North Causeway Park.  We paddled around the spoil islands and again some hits but no fish. I got a birds nest and my line broke, as I was hand lining it in a fish (may have been a red) almost engulfed my lure.  I pulled on he line as fast I could to correct the problem. It was like the fish knew the lure wasn't attached to the reel.  We left about 1230pm with no fish but it was fun being out there - maybe next time we can christen his kayak with a fish. Good luck all.
    Thanks for the report, you could also put this post in the paddle craft section.
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
     Paddle harder,

try to contact "Barrel" on this forum. Guy is hardcore fisherman out of Ft. Pierce who mostly fishes by boat but is experienced kayak and has surf shop up north that sells Hobie fishing kayaks. His house is on water north Hutchinson Island and he can give you info to help your quest.

He is up north working now but you can direct message him and I'm sure he will respond.

Even with the discharges there are still some spots that hold fish, good luck bro!
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,495 Captain
    Intheslot said:
    I used to spend allot of time up that way and was one areas that I really enjoyed more than most others.

It saddens me greatly that my son will not have that experience too.

But I believe it is primarily attributable to the Lake O dumping, not sewers. The standards on discharges from treatment plants is higher than that for drinking water.

This is on the Army Core of Engineers who control the discharges and because of fear for the **** integrity around Lake O.

Slot, absolutely NONE of the water from Lake O gets into the IRL. It does not flow north. The issues are not just caused by Orlando, either. Local agriculture, lots of septic tanks, leaking sewer systems (like the one discovered this week), local runoff, and plenty more places all pollute the IRL. It’s just easy to blame the tourists in Orlando for issues that are mainly home grown. 
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 962 Officer
    There is no silver bullet.  If you're being narrow in your focus/blame, your argument can easily have holes poked in it.
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Agreed that there is no single issue or silver bullet. They (SFWMD and Army Core) have been working on Kissimmee River restoration beginning in 1990. This project is the largest restoration project in the world. They are near the end of the project, and are currently working on pushing in the C-38 canal (that was dredged through the river decades ago) in the Basinger area where HWY 98 crosses the Kissimmee north of Okeechobee city. Once the river begins to flow naturally, the results come fast in the way of aquatic plants and current taking out underlying muck exposing white sand bottom. Once this is complete at least some of the water flowing into the lake will be cleaner.

Two things to keep in mind, the region of the state where the Kissimmee flows has naturally high phosphorus levels within the earth. Also in the case of big sugar, farms within the EAA (sugarcane area south of the lake) are not permitted to back pump into the lake, and have not done so in years. 

Hopefully with completion of this major river restoration project along with other recent projects the lake and lagoon will prosper. But at least we are doing something about it, but it can seem frustrating with how long it takes. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    bmoody said:
    There is no silver bullet.  If you're being narrow in your focus/blame, your argument can easily have holes poked in it.
    I would say an influx of humanity is to blame 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    My wife and I fished just north of bear point on Sunday and for a few hours of fishing we came home with 6 lane snapper and a sheepshead. Sorry you didn't have any luck. Better luck next time.
    Thanks for the correction Potty Doc, good to know.. 
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 259 Deckhand
    I fish the spoil islands there just north of the launch, have caught a few Snook and Reds with VuDu shrimp on the edge of the mangroves...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS