Mullet run questions, please help! :)

I have made an annual trip to Florida to fly fish, but it's always been during July, and always followed a certain routine, walking the beach for snook, a couple of trips offshore for dolphin, false albacore, etc, and a trip to the Glades for tarpon and sharks.  Have always heard about the mullet run, and I may have opportunity to grab a cheap ticket and run down and try it.  My questions mostly have to do with timing and fly patterns.  I would be in the Jupiter area with the ability to travel north and south to look for fish.  Is mid-September a good guess for timing?  Fly pattern wise, it seems the size of the mullet varies wildly, what size patterns are you throwing?  Any pics would be great?  I'm thinking I'll bring a 9,10, and 12 weight down, and the ten might get most of the use?  Lastly, it looks like it's often mixed schools of jacks, snook, tarpon, and sharks, what do your leaders usually look like?  Thanks so much for any info you can provide, excited about coming down and giving it a try!  BTW, I already posted this in the Fly fishing section, but I think fishing is fishing, and a lot of conventional stuff translates, any advice welcome.

Replies

• Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 215 Deckhand
    If your going to Jupiter I would think mid September might still be a little early. I'm south of there the Lantana area it's usually in full swing here in mid Oct. 
  • LiveSouthFLLiveSouthFL Posts: 136 Deckhand
    We have seen the mullet show up in the south part of Palm Beach County (i.e. Delray Beach, Boca Raton) in the first half of October the past few years. 2015 was an outstanding run, but the hurricanes hurt things in 2016 & 2017. I'm hoping it is another strong one this fall. Safe travels & have a blast!
    Ed Moore
    Broker-Owner
    Live South Florida Realty, Inc.
    LiveSouthFL.com

*FREE MLS app for your mobile device: Text EDMOORE to 87778 or visit: http://87778.mobi/EDMOORE/
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 579 Officer
    I follow a guy out of Coco Beach/Melbourne area and the pogies and mullet look like they are starting to school up.  I'll be in Sebastian the end of September, so hopefully I'll catch the beginning or middle of it.
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 556 Officer
    Lots of variables but mid September can be real good in Jupiter.  You can always head north.  I fish with spinning gear so I can not help you but the fish are not picky especially at dawn and dusk.
  • Randy RichterRandy Richter Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Thanks so much for your replies already.  Anything is helpful, since is new to me.  A couple of more questions, are the blitzes sometimes within 70-80 feet of the beach so I could reach them with the fly rod?  And the mullet size varies all the way from finger mullet to full adult size fish?  Again, really appreciate the knowledge, thank you.

• InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Mullet can run all the way to the shoreline.  It is crazy sometimes.  I am not much of a fly fisherman but I would think. Streamer running 4-6 inch in a mullet pattern would work well
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 579 Officer
    Go to YouTube and search mullet run, Blacktip H has some pretty insane videos of it. Literally mullet and glass minnows will wash up on the beach. Can’t get much closer than that. 
    The mullet will be smashing into your ankles if you catch it right. Dawn o'clock is my favorite time. I do not mean sunrise that is sometimes when it slacks off.  I think the best time is when it is just barely light enough to see until the sun cracks the horizon.  It can go on all day but first light is consistently good.   You have to pay your dues to by going everyday you can but mullet run fishing from the beach can be insanely good.  Bring plenty of flies because if the bluefish find you you will go through a lot of flies.  There are beaches with deep troughs tight to the beach where the tarpon (at first light) will be 10 feet from you. Same with the blacktips and spinners.  It also goes off inside the inlet in a lot of locations so wade fishing is also an option.
  • bluechipbluechip Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Fireman Bill, are you just blind casting? I had trouble this summer with the snook because when it's low light, it seems like a waste to just blind cast and a real shot in the dark. When the sun is up and you can see them, it's rare they're in a feeding mood. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    We'll be there late september early october in boca.    probably going to use 50lb flouro leaders and 30lb braid.   I figure we'll either snag some mullet with a treble hook or castnet them and then simply hook and send em out on the edge of the school to see what's out there. I imagine snook/tarpon/sharks/macks
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Randy RichterRandy Richter Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    bluechip said:
    Fireman Bill, are you just blind casting? I had trouble this summer with the snook because when it's low light, it seems like a waste to just blind cast and a real shot in the dark. When the sun is up and you can see them, it's rare they're in a feeding mood. 
    It's definitely not a waste of time to blind cast.  I've taken hundreds of snook that way, and the 42 inch fish in profile pic was blind casted fish on fly.
    I would not call it blind casting during the mullet run.  I fish a few favorite spots that almost always are holding bait early in the AM.  Most mornings you will see the bait.  I fish 30 lb. floro for leader until the bluefish show up then I use 50 lb floro.  I never mess with live bait anymore during the mullet run.  75% of the time I throw a 1.5 ounce gator spoon.  Other than that I use a walk the dog type lure or a popping plug.  I have removed the treble hooks on the lures and have replaced them with single hooks. 

Get up early walk the beach catch a few fish then go about the rest of the your day.  I rarely use my boat during the mullet run the beach at dawn is much less work.