Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red Tide

I just recently moved and the last 2 months I haven't thought about fishing because of it.  I have a few shore spots scoped out very near me but today I went outside and it smelled like a collection of dog crap left out in the sun.  I assume it is dead fish from the red tide. I was planning on Sunday, but am I screwed?  Looks like we won't get an easterly wind until Saturday.  

My spots are from the Manatee river to the Skyway pier.  I might fish the Skyway as a last resort, but I was hoping to to hit a shore spot to just satisfy the itch.  I was planning on saving the skyway for when the ladies wanted to fish and I had a crab net or whatever for properly landing a fish.  

Captain Todd Approves

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    If you can handle a little stink, go fishing. I will not say where, but fish are really stacked up in some areas. Huge snook.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,138 AG
    I definitely could use a Red Tide Fishing 101 class.

I assume you don't want to fish around dead fish, even if there is technically no algae around, because decaying fish sap the oxygen.  I also assume that if we get a prevailing easterly wind Saturday like they say that will help?

Captain Todd Approves

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    There is no red tide fishing class. The best scientists in the world don't really understand it. If they did, they would cure it. From what I have seen, there are still plenty of healthy fish very close to the fish kills. 

In thinking about fishing docks in the mouth of the manatee river, and some flats just north. 

Some of what I've seen has been sad. Almost teared up at palma sola bay last week.

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,138 AG
    Yeah I heard palma sola was bad. 

The smell has diminished tonight.  I'll hit the 2 spots within 10 minutes from my house Sunday and see how it goes.

Captain Todd Approves