Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red Tide Report

Just figured I would give everyone an update on what is happening in the bay with all the media red tide blow ups.

I went out to Eggmont and skin dove around some structure and spots just to waste time on a Sunday. I didn't feel any effects of red tide. I grew up surfing the east coast and actually in red tide (we would put a dive mask on and surf haha) but at Eggmont there was no red tide. No itchy eyes or throat or skin. The visibility was excellent. Top to bottom in 12 feet. 

As for the fish - the aquatic life was not at all bothered by the red tide. Schools of ladies, jacks, and macks. Large schools at that. Birds diving. TONS of glass minnows. 

I don't know how it is on Anna Maria but it has not gotten north at all. 

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    Palma sola bay was a sea of death on Saturday. Anyone know about terra ceia bay area? 
  • thumperdumperthumperdumper Posts: 374 Deckhand
    That is really surprising. Palma Sola is pretty **** close to Eggmont key. There were tons of boats and no one was having issues. Tidal flush maybe?
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    Something, we had west winds last week. Sure that was part of it. The beach was lined with mostly bait fish, cats, and a ton of stingrays. I could tell the rays had been dead for quite a while. Some were almost just skeletons. Not one boat at that ramp 10:30 on a Saturday. Now I went to the kingfish ramp and it was pretty busy. Looked like most of the boats retuning were coming from the north. My hunch is they going to st. Pete.
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 152 Deckhand
    edited August 2018 #5
    This past weekend, everything south of Manatee Ave bridge going out to AMI was bad. Bulkhead area seemed fine. Somewhere between those couple miles must be the edge of it.