Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Brother-in-law wants to catch a shark, a small will do...

My brother-in-law wants to catch a shark in Tampa Bay and dragging his bay boat to do so,  Being normally an offshore and Tarpon guy, not sure where to direct him.  I plan to join and will launch out of O'Neils or Gandy.  Coming from a bass background, he will be more than happy landing those common 2 footer Blacktips or Bonnets.  Any general areas of where to start?  I can put him on some snapper and macks which is on the agenda but never target those nuisance sharks.  So the quicker I can that part of the trip out of the way, the better given the recent heat.  Thoughts of a general spot to start?. Thanks Chip   

Replies

• SJCSJC Posts: 2,571 Captain
    I caught countless sharks about 200 yards from the Gandy bridge a couple years ago with the kids. I bought a bunch of squid and sardines. Anchored on the south side of the bridge and sat back. EZPZ nothing real big but the were all about 2-3 foot black tips I believe. If you catch small grunts and jacks cut them open and send them back down
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,821 AG
    either side channel of Egmont will do, anchor, buttefly a pinfish, or anything really and send it down.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 710 Officer
    Here is a real easy trip for you guys.  Launch at Fort Desoto, anchor up on the edge of the channel 100 yards east of the bridge there.  Catch some ladyfish and put them out (live) on a simple slip sinker rig.  Heavy mono (100# or so) leader and a 7/0 or 8/0 circle hook.  Start fishing a couple of hours before sunset and into the evening for the best results.  Outgoing tide is ideal.  Should be able to get into several blacktips and spinners if you can keep up with bait supply.  Sailcats may bother your baits, so have more than you might need.
  • chiprobertschiproberts OldsmarPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks the guidance, give it a try tomorrow...
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 710 Officer
    Let us know how you guys do.
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    If you idle the flat east of the boat ramp and to the North you will be able to sight fish small black tips and Bonnets. I see them there all the time. Drop your bait 8-12 inches in front of them and hang on!