Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

update on red tide/fish kill off ??

I'm up north right now and have read all the reports of terrible water issues as well as fish and wildliife die offs.  Distressing to say the least.  
Thought I would ask for update for those of you who are out on the water on a regular basis.  Hope it is media over hype.  THX

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,627 Captain
    From Marco to sarasota bay? Its a ecological disaster! The 10k islands has not been effected YET!
    Jason :USA
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,769 AG
    I had friends in Sanibel yesterday, they were cleaning up dead fish off the beach with a bobcat.   The water was disgusting and it smelled like death.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 830 Officer
    Polliwog,In most of the area you fish,fishing has been exceptional.Trout in 85 degree water unheard of,lots of
    reds but many undersize,snook many in and over slot,
    tarpon gone but good fishing when they were here.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 348 Deckhand
    Glad to hear 10k is not affected so far ,sad to hear about the areas to  the north,  Thanks for the updates.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this mess will clear up soon.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,627 Captain
    10kman said:
    Polliwog,In most of the area you fish,fishing has been exceptional.Trout in 85 degree water unheard of,lots of
    reds but many undersize,snook many in and over slot,
    tarpon gone but good fishing when they were here.

Yes the trout fishing is ridiculous LOL......Not sure where your fishing but im seeing tarpon all over the place, especially if its a pass with swift current.
    Jason :USA
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 82 Deckhand
    I was in Sanibel last weekend and it was really bad.  Picture below was from Marco 4 weeks ago.  It has mostly cleared up around Marco, but I think continued flow from the Caloosahatchee seems to be feeding it in Sanibel/Ft Myers area.  It also seems to affect bottom fish the most.  Pics below were from Marco 4 weeks ago.  Lots of catfish, eels and batfish were on the beach.  South of Marco seems to have experienced little to nothing.

I fished Marco last week and did not see any signs of red tide.  It seems to have mostly cleared up there, but the seasonal patterns are off cycle and all my fish were REALLY small.  The dock light usually holds small pilchards at this time of year.  Recently there were no pilchards, but a lot of really big threadfins.  I've heard reports from a lot of people that weird things are showing up for this time of the year.

• ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 119 Deckhand
    I would not let a kid or my lab touch a red tide killed fish!  it can make people sick!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,456 Admiral
    WHAT !! , Their gills are still red..That's Fry Meat to a Southern Man...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • phillygphillyg Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    As of yesterday, still bad from Siesta Key to Naples.  We have easterly winds so that should help push it offshore, currents permitting, but the damage is done.
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 82 Deckhand
    FWC maintains tracking reports on their website.  The information is delayed by a few days, but seems to be the best source for current status.  Links presented below show high concentrations of red tide currently reported from Sarasota down through Marco Island.  

SW Fla map:    http://myfwc.com/media/4475755/swmap0803.pdf

Statewide report:    http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus

• hodag_guyhodag_guy Posts: 70 Deckhand
    FWC maintains tracking reports on their website.  The information is delayed by a few days, but seems to be the best source for current status.  Links presented below show high concentrations of red tide currently reported from Sarasota down through Marco Island.  

SW Fla map:    http://myfwc.com/media/4475755/swmap0803.pdf

Statewide report:    http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus

Thanks Googan. I contacted Collier County Pollution Control. They said the map showing red tide sample results don't show red tide south of Marco and Goodland because there are no samples taken south of there.

So, has anybody out on the water seen any significant fish kills or evidence of red tide in the Everglades City/Chokoloskee area?

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,240 Officer
    According to all the reports on this forum the answer is no. All the reports I have seen is the fishing is great in that area.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,420 Captain
    And it's just fine as well from Lostman's River all the way south to Cape Sable... Amen....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • wahoo1wahoo1 Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Ran out today about 32 miles out of Gordon Pass, the fish kill was pretty bad all the way out until 30 miles.  1000's of dead fish the entire way out and the water was a brown color.  Had no idea it was like that up to 30 miles out.  We had some clean water once we hit 32 miles.