Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

8/17 Snapper Day

GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 462 Deckhand
Hot bite this morning, hit the party grounds before the party and had our limit by 7:15. Ran a little farther out looking for vermillion but didn’t have much luck so switched to slow trolling and caught around 10 kings in 2 hours, kept some 4 for the smoker. Haven’t seen any pogies the last 2 days used cigar minnows. 
FishJax Charters
www.fishjax.org

Replies

• dontezumadontezuma Posts: 260 Deckhand
    Nice haul! Did you use chicken rigs for the cigars? I saw someone said Carolina rigs, but if the bait is dead, or you're using squid, doesn't it just lay on the bottom?

I tied up a bunch of double rigs last night if I wind up on cut bait, and had all of our success on live pogies on Carolina rigs last week.

I haven't dialed in the bottom fishing gear yet, but I know everyone else here has. 
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,853 Captain
    That’s a great day right there!

• SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    edited August 2018 #4
    PC was firing good too!

snaps
    kings
    tuna
    bonita
    cuda
    shark

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 462 Deckhand
    dontezuma said:
    Nice haul! Did you use chicken rigs for the cigars? I saw someone said Carolina rigs, but if the bait is dead, or you're using squid, doesn't it just lay on the bottom?

I tied up a bunch of double rigs last night if I wind up on cut bait, and had all of our success on live pogies on Carolina rigs last week.

I haven't dialed in the bottom fishing gear yet, but I know everyone else here has. 
    I use chicken rigs for cut bait, Carolina style for live.
    FishJax Charters
    www.fishjax.org
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    edited August 2018 #6
    A carolina rig with dead bait kind of acts like a chicken rig with one hook.