Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

No there are no red snapper out there :)

We can't have a real season because they have not come back to "historical levels" say the fish managers.

When is the last time you saw Canaveral Party boats hang  a daily snapper catch like this.

Some won't see the forest for the trees in their way. :#

Replies

• SaltstrikerSaltstriker Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    They must have went to the same reefs I went to.  Just a day earlier lol
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,708 Captain
    Well to prove it was not just a fluke........today's catch wasn't none too shabby. :)

Haha ya not a fluke!  
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 385 Deckhand
    That’s a lot of snapper.  Looks like 40people on that boat.       I just wish they would give more than 2 weekends
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    Orlando princess went 80/80
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    I imagine it was  a zoo out there.   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    It looked like it from the Facebook posts. Couldn't pay me to go out there during that nonsense. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Most boats that went out of Ponce caught the skunk.  Go figure.
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I think this is hilarious.  There are some fish out there, but nothing compared to the 80s!!  People used to handline redsnapper right outside the port and cover the bottom of their boats!!  Now you get five and you think there thick lol
  • Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 533 Officer
    I think this is hilarious.  There are some fish out there, but nothing compared to the 80s!!  People used to handline redsnapper right outside the port and cover the bottom of their boats!!  Now you get five and you think there thick lol
    I agree and if they were to open a season as some suggest you won't see catch like this again.
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    we didn't have a problem before the closure and part of the reason some people got skunked was that there is a thermocline out there right now. 
    bay20 said:
    we didn't have a problem before the closure and part of the reason some people got skunked was that there is a thermocline out there right now. 
    funny how the season seemed to coincide with that isn't it? 
    Even before the thermocline fishing has straight up sucked for the last like five years!
    Even before the thermocline fishing has straight up sucked for the last like five years!
    Funny because i bought my first boat in 2014.   Coincidences abound with my ability to fish and things going straight to hell.  
    I was actually considering upgrading my boat, but now I am just chartering wherever the bite is in the whole of Florida.  Decided it's cheaper to charter and actually catch fish than buy a boat to burn gas looking for fish lol
  • ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    Wow.  I was never a huge participant of this forum, but have been on here since its inception pre-2000.  I think I am going to finally delete it from my favorites with the rhetoric that is now FS.  Fishing has sucked the last 5 years (you definitely dont fish much do you)?  There was no snapper caught last weekend because of the thermo (not where I dove)?  There's not that many snapper out there (dam, you REALLY dont fish then do you)?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,684 AG
    Bye bye Felicia... LOL
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    Chad said:
    Wow.  I was never a huge participant of this forum, but have been on here since its inception pre-2000.  I think I am going to finally delete it from my favorites with the rhetoric that is now FS.  Fishing has sucked the last 5 years (you definitely dont fish much do you)?  There was no snapper caught last weekend because of the thermo (not where I dove)?  There's not that many snapper out there (dam, you REALLY dont fish then do you)?
    Then go if you actually read my comment i said some of the reason some of the people didnt catch any fish was because of the thermocline, i didnt say everyone got skunked. Pay attention
    Whiners gonna whine 
    edited August 2018 #23
    "Whiners gonna whine"

Deflectors gonna deflect.........I fished Canaveral in the 80's so I would love to see pictures of these full boatloads of hand lined red snapper caught "right outside the port".

I find nothing about our current red snapper management "hilarious". But I do see irony in this coming from a guy who says he can't  catch any fish on his own without driving all over the state & hiring chartered help. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The irony being that I hear there once was a young man who tried his hand at being  a south Florida guide, but couldn't quite cut it on his own. And then refused help or to assimilate himself in with the local guides (other people on the water every day), as it couldn't be his fault he wasn't achieving stellar results.

No it had to be that everyone before him had depleted all the fish and there just were none left there to catch. I hear this fellow is now a distinguished expert in fisheries management. And currently one of the leading managers overseeing this "red snapper" boondoggle.

As long as he refuses to accept help (data in this case) from the "other people on the water every day" this is likely to continue.

Because.......Some won't see the forest for the trees in their way. ;)

@CountryBumpkin
    If i'm not catching fish that's on me.  I don't get enough time on the water as it is to really learn the right locations/tides/all the things that go into successful fishing.  Some think you get in your boat motor out to a dropoff drop some dead mullet and haul em in left and right.   

Am I going to sit here and cry about how things aren't what they were 40 years ago?  No.  1st I don't remember, I was 1 year old at the time.   2nd I do recognize that things have gone downhill over that span and I can joke about it, but at the same time I'm not going to come on here and judge other people for having opinions on who and why things are the way they are.  

I know i'm not a great fisherman.   But I do what i can when i can to try and make memories for myself and my son on the water with what we have both boat wise and resource wise.   

I love it when someone comes on here and says "man this place isn't what it used to be" well then use the mouse, click off and don't come back.    All the people complaining about the post count and at the same time complaining about the posters as well.   Well get lost or add some content.    You add content so this isn't directly at you.   
  • donhdonh Posts: 127 Deckhand
    What ever …... thermocline don't realy effect the red snapper as bad as everyone lets on.....we have limited out every trip with real nice mid teens snapper ...no monster 20  plus pounders but good ones none the less and have released a crap ton of them ….we have caught them from 65 ft all the way out to 185.ft..caught em on dead bait and live bait....I think people are whining because its not easy.....and there lack of experience is showing.....snapper are a temperit water fish andcan handle colder water than most of our tropic water fish...….what they do , do is follow the bait when they move …….they move...…..think of the wolves that follow the herds of elk …...if theres nothing to eat why be there.....
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Yep

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • TIGHTEN_UPTIGHTEN_UP Posts: 14 Deckhand
    edited August 2018 #27
    This was 8/10
    They're thick out there just gotta find em. Let a bunch go kept the slobs. Running again in 2 hours.
    TIGHTENUP
    Capt Joe
    TIGHTENUP
    Rich M said:
    Looking at the couple dozen photos submitted to the Daytona Paper, after first weekend, looks like plenty of nice catches to me.
    ;)

Rich M said:
    The bite was tough on the artificial reefs.  Still caught two very nice ones on site 2. 
    Rich M said:
    Looking at the couple dozen photos submitted to the Daytona Paper, after first weekend, looks like plenty of nice catches to me.
    ;)

When we got in at 4:30 pm, FWC said that 8 out of 48 boats caught fish out Ponce from the Swoop Ramp on the first Friday.  Just reporting facts as they were presented to me.

Glad you like the pictures in the paper.  Which one is yours?  

Rich M said:
    Rich M said:
    ;)

When we got in at 4:30 pm, FWC said that 8 out of 48 boats caught fish out Ponce from the Swoop Ramp on the first Friday.  Just reporting facts as they were presented to me.

Glad you like the pictures in the paper.  Which one is yours?  

Where the hell do 48 trailers park at that ramp??!!!