Home Boating

Aquasport 225

DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,415 Captain
Just curious about the boat from people who have owned or ridden in one. I'm curious as to the ride of the boat in rough waters. The hull looks like it's pretty good for rough water. I'm also curious as to any faults with the boats. Transoms, etc...

Replies

• VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 320 Deckhand
    A real popular boat.  I have not ridden in one but did some research a few years back when I was thinking of buying one.  Some developed soft spots in the deck.  Usually near the console, but could be anywhere.  
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,415 Captain
    I've noticed with some Aquasports that the cover over the fuel tank tends to get weak with age. I usually just replace them with a 3/4" plywood that's glassed and reinforced.
  • Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 556 Officer
    Are you talking about the Aquasport 222 hull 1971 and before or are you wanting to know about the boat and hull after they redesigned the the hull after 1971? 
    Colon Kapermick Nike's Stephin Fetchit

America, the land of the "regressives" proposed free health care for illegal aliens paid for by legal tax paying Americans who have to pay exorbitant rates for their own health insurance.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    aquasport: the aquasport boats are built very cheaply ! terrible wiring,cheap low quality materials.famous for having problems with rub rail inserts shrink - the rub rail insert would shrink,pulling away from the pulpit are. they are what they are,a cheap boat...
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    "DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,368 Captain July 26 #3 I've noticed with some Aquasports that the cover over the fuel tank tends to get weak with age. I usually just replace them with a 3/4" plywood that's glassed and reinforced." using the method described,not a good move... the original hatch,these have a problem with the core - read that as wood coring rots.it rots out from water migration - wood and polyester resin isn't the best choice,polyester resin isn't waterproof,it will NOT seal the wood.lots of manufactures have similar problems,grady white is one,wellcraft is another...
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
    Are you talking about the Aquasport 222 hull 1971 and before or are you wanting to know about the boat and hull after they redesigned the the hull after 1971? 
    This would be a 2000+ 225 Explorer. 
    "DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,368 Captain July 26 #3 I've noticed with some Aquasports that the cover over the fuel tank tends to get weak with age. I usually just replace them with a 3/4" plywood that's glassed and reinforced." using the method described,not a good move... the original hatch,these have a problem with the core - read that as wood coring rots.it rots out from water migration - wood and polyester resin isn't the best choice,polyester resin isn't waterproof,it will NOT seal the wood.lots of manufactures have similar problems,grady white is one,wellcraft is another...
    Actually the model I'm looking at doesn't have this plate over the tank. The rest I've never seen. So what boats do you like?
  • DriftinDanDriftinDan Posts: 27 Deckhand
    Love my Aquasport 175. The hull handles rough water great. Excellent hull to refab from the hull up as they are older. Great if you find one that has been taken care of. It was built as the economy line alongside the Wellcraft and discontinued once Genmar bought additional lines. Mine is still original and do not have issues with wiring or the rub rail as mentioned above.
    Love my Aquasport 175. The hull handles rough water great. Excellent hull to refab from the hull up as they are older. Great if you find one that has been taken care of. It was built as the economy line alongside the Wellcraft and discontinued once Genmar bought additional lines. Mine is still original and do not have issues with wiring or the rub rail as mentioned above.
    They are great boats. I also love how easy it use to run wiring in them as well as the steering cable.
    Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on 1998 225 Explorer.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,819 AG
    Are you going to repower?  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Not just yet. It has an Evinrude 200 on it with great compression so I'll wait a few years. Fuel economy won't be great but should be good enough for now.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,819 AG
    DBRYAN said:
    Not just yet. It has an Evinrude 200 on it with great compression so I'll wait a few years. Fuel economy won't be great but should be good enough for now.
    Shoot yea, if you take care of it and don't beat on it will probably run until you get tired  of it and want to upgrade.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SEARUNNERSEARUNNER Posts: 287 Deckhand
    My cousin is on his 2nd Aquasport 225 Dual Console and he absolutely loves them. I've ridden in his offshore and it rides very well.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    I've had a 1998 AQ 215 Explorer with a 98 200 carbed Rude for 7 years. It's been a very good boat with no major issues for offshore,inshore,family SUV and even as a mothership in the ENP.(I get some weird looks running it up Lostmans to Third Bay). Not the smoothest riding offshore in a chop,it is a walk around and thus bow heavy but it's help up to many pounding s and it drier than an y CC I've ever been on. It's a mid tier boat,not a cheap boat. Composite transom and stringers, wood over glass deck cap,tunnel caps and cabin bulkhead. Wiring is ok and easy to access and trace. Your boat was built in Sarasota by Genmar at the Wellcraft plant.
    There is an excellent Aquasport forum which can answer every question you could have,welcome to the club!