Suzuki df20 pull start won't start

lorenz198411lorenz198411 gsxr6000Posts: 9 Greenhorn
good evening,
a couple of weeks ago I was running in Biscayne Bay with the motor all morning and when I stopped for lunch I disconnected the fuel hose. when I started again I ran about 15 minutes and later on the motor turned off (the fuel was finished I thought). I connected back the hose but there was no way to restart the motor. when I can back home I drained the fuel filter finding some water on the bottom, tried starting again but no luck. the day later I brought the motor to an authorized dealer hoping for a solution since the motor is a 2017 with only 87 hours on it. the dealer called me back 3 days later telling that the fuel line was full with water, the motor was completely seized and this was not covered by warranty, they also told me that the motor was scrap. I was very confused about the happening since the motor was perfectly moving just 3 days before and I just drained the fuel filter without to find any water on it. anyways after paying a bill of 120 dollars for the diagnosis I brought the motor back home and start working on it. I dismounted the spark plugs, filled the combustion chamber with wd40 and after 2 days I was able to unseize the motor using a ratchet. I flushed all the fuel line with new fuel and I disconnected the injectors making sure that no water was remaining on the fuel line. after that I also replaced the spark plugs. 
at this point I'm sure that clean fuel is arriving to the injectors that are vaporizing it properly, but when I tried to start the motor it won't start. so I checked the spark and it seems to be fine (spark seems to be weak but I don't have terms of comparison on how it was before). tried to start again several times and the motor started a couple of times for no more than 10 seconds and later was turning off again. compression on the chamber is very good, spark is there, fuel line is ok... I don't know what could be the problem at this point. I also tried to put the motor in horizontal position, dismount the air sensor on the air intake and fully open the throttle to try drain any possible remaining wd40 that could have dropped into the intake line but none came out.
only difference between now and before is that since the first day I used the motor when I was pulling the pull start it was completely stuck the first 2 pulls and getting completely loose on the 3rd one. I thought this was strange but a friend with the same motor told me his was doing the same so I never investigate. now the motor is not doing that anymore, it's just pulling every time free but not starting.
any advice? 

Replies

• shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    You need compression for a motor to run. You may have stuck rings. Spray starting fluid in the intake to see if it starts. If your compression is low put an oz of gear oil in your spark plug whole and turn the motor over without the spark plug in it. Put your spark plug back in and try to start with starting fluid. If you get it running get out and use the motor for an hour and you will be good. Any time you get water in a motor get it running as soon as possible or it will turn in to a boat anchor. 
  • lorenz198411lorenz198411 gsxr6000Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Many thanks for the reply, the motor was seized and to get it moving I sprayed wd40 and later on motor oil into the cylinders. Compression looks good when I put a finger on the spark plug hole. How could I have stuck rings if the pistons are now moving smoothly after I unseized the motor? 
    I was already able to start the motor but it wasn’t running smooth and after few seconds would turn off again. Do you believe the starting fuel would help?
    Rings will stick in the piston grooves and lower your compression. A compression test will help. Starting fluid will help you get the motor started. Once the motor is started you can give the motor another shot of starting fluid to keep it running. If it does not stay running after a few shots of starting fluid then you are not getting gas to the motor. Get the motor to run for a hour and that should loosen  up the rings.
    I will try this evening and let you know. Hope it will work!!
    there is any possible reason that when I dismount the injectors and pull the start the are spraying normally but later they stop doing it?
    thanks again for help.. this weekend I made an hotel reservation in Key West and it would be a shame to have the motor out of service...
    what I mean above is if there is any possible reason why the injectors are properly spraying when I crank the motor and they should not when the motor is running. the test I did dismounting the injectors and cranking was to me the proof that the fuel line is working properly and I could exclude it as a possible problem.
    Test the fuel pressure with a gauge you may have low fuel pressure.
    I will do it tonight.
    Where should I connect the gage on the line and how much the fuel pressure should be?
    On inboard motors there is a test port and 60 psi is a good pressure. It is like checking air pressure in a tire. You will have to research your motor online on how to test. Harbor  freight tools has a fuel pressure gauge for $19.99 if you need one. You may have to splice in your fuel line to test. The gauge come with an adapter to splice in.
    Yes I was checking at harbor freight and they also have one for 14 bucks.
    i will connect it on the hose just before the injectors.
    thanks for all the help until now really
    Fuel pressure is good!
    compression though is very bad since I have 90 in one cylinder and 105 in the other.. very difficult to start it like this
    Get it started and run it for a hour and your compression may get better. Keep an eye on your oil level until your rings reseal.
    Trying but very difficult.. I was able to start it couple of times for no more than 10 seconds also spraying ethanol won’t help much.. 
  • Dan983Dan983 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I have a 2014 DF 20 with very low hours. It died giving an alarm horn. It's at the Suzuki dealer and the computer says a timing module is bad. They replaced it and the code cleared but now it has zero spark. These motors seem a to have engineering problems? I'm very careful w gas. I buy WaWa ethanol free and treat it.