Home Conservation Forums

Shooting Iguanas?

2»

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,255 AG
    We saw a lady shooing them in Marathon and having a meltdown.   My wife laughed and said "it's their  place you're just renting!"  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    Flat-cat said:
    Some serious pellet guns out there. A pre charged pneumatic (charge from scuba tank) in 22 is accurate and surprisingly powerful. Think what they use in PR for Iguanas 
    I saw a TV show about shooting Iguanas in Puerto Rico. They have a SERIOUS problem down there! Then they went to a restaurant where they were cooking it up! Then they showed a Wash DC restaurant where they serve it up as appetizers and the people loved it!

Today I looked across the canal to see a nasty looking Possum walking around that yard!   :o
  • GrumpyDavidGrumpyDavid JacksonvillePosts: 48 Greenhorn
    In the 19th century lobster were not eaten by the normal population. Lobsters were mainly used to feed inmates in prisons. This is not a rumor but a historical fact.

Which was likely still unpopular since they boiled them for an hour.
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 158 Deckhand
    I'll eat (almost) anything once...

Spent 6 weeks camping in The Keys last winter. There were several days just to windy to fish so... look out mini-Godzilla. I put together a snare pole but quickly learned the pole was too long without having a method to "lock" the snare shut. I used wire inside plastic tubing taped to a pole. Storm debris.

Bridgeheads seemed good places to start. Lots of iguanas but I learned that the more popular the place was with shore fisherman who didn't speak English well,the more timid the iguanas....Lots of construction/repairs going on meant lots of short pieces of rebar. "Thunk!".

Anyway,once I perfected my set-up,I ended up with three big ones in a few hours - plus a few smaller ones I released...Gotta admit,it was fun. I'm 55,I felt like I was 14 again... Folks at the campground were NOT impressed. Came in with them on the back of my kayak... (note to self - next time be more discrete. lol)...Got a fair amount of meat but I took my time cleaning them to get as much as possible: tail,legs,backstrap...First one took as long as the next two together - they just ain't put together like any other critter I'd ever cleaned so there was a learning curve...One was full of eggs and I was tempted but didn't try them. Anyone know anything about that?

I sautéed the meat with a little olive oil, sweet onion,salt and pepper. Some pieces were extremely tender,some were kind of chewy. ALL tasted - disappointingly - just like chicken.

Maybe I should'a skipped the onion.

I asked a warden about it before I went after them. He told me immigrants hunted them regularly. They skinned and gutted,then boiled the carcass until the meat fell off. Then they fried that meat and used it in burritos and such....he also said that the best way was to hunt them in the mangroves on cold nights. They move so slow that you can just grab them off the branches
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    Great stories! Thanks!
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 147 Deckhand
    think its perfectly legal to shoot an iguana ,however the question to ask is the iguana in a place where it is legal to discharge a fire arm?