Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Face Book

Or twitter, twatter, pintress..something...

Who does not have facebook or any other social media of that type?

I don't have any of it. Only social media I use is this forum and GON. I seem to be a minority compared to everyone I know including my wife and kids....  I'm not saying it's bad, but  it seems to be addictive to many and has caused lots of issues for more. How about you? 
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    I surf Facebook.
    It helps me stay in touch with old friends and family.
    My mother won't join it.
    I think you're smart Micci.
    I don't wish to have anything more than here, there, and 
    TacomaWorld Truck Forum!
    God, save the South!
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    I'm with you micci    I don't do it either
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,827 Captain

I'm on it. Started years ago when my kids were younger just to keep an eye on what they were doing. Good decision.

Still time to time and it has put me back in contact with quite a few old friends.

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,401 Moderator
    No FB, Twitter or other platforms. I do not want to set aside the time from my other activities.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    None here either
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,585 Admiral
    FB and Instagram. Use facebook as a news media and to keep up with friends.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 558 Officer
    FB and FS only. FB helps us keep track of scattered family . . .and Max.  :)

• JTRJTR Posts: 1,184 Officer
    micci_man said:
    Or twitter, twatter, pintress..something...

Who does not have facebook or any other social media of that type?

I don't have any of it. Only social media I use is this forum and GON. I seem to be a minority compared to everyone I know including my wife and kids....  I'm not saying it's bad, but  it seems to be addictive to many and has caused lots of issues for more. How about you? 
    You are not alone.

I don't have any of it. Have been asked numerous times why not. I think if people actually understood what they are agreeing to they would feel differently.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-06/facebook-asking-major-us-banks-share-user-data

• trout069trout069 Posts: 5,404 Admiral
    Bookface here. Keep up with family and friends all over the country. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,370 AG
    i have facebook and instagram.     
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,849 AG

Just asking, so for the ones that use FB to just keep up with people. Do you not pick up the phone and call/talk to them or just read about or communicate via typing? Only reason I ask is because I think communication skills are falling to the way side with the younger generation because they don't talk but rather type their conversations.

again, not bashing

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,401 Moderator
    My family keeps up with each other on FB. 4 kids and 9 grandkids.

I've told them Grandpa expects pictures via text on the cell. Marci keeps me up to date on happenings.

I agree with micci.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• MulletMullet Posts: 2,407 Moderator
    micci_man said:

Just asking, so for the ones that use FB to just keep up with people. Do you not pick up the phone and call/talk to them or just read about or communicate via typing? Only reason I ask is because I think communication skills are falling to the way side with the younger generation because they don't talk but rather type their conversations.

again, not bashing

No different than here, just on a larger scale.

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,520 Captain
    Some years ago I registered on Facebook using one of my "throwaway" email addys.
    A few months later I started getting messages from them suggesting I invite Bill Bloggs/ John Smith/ etc.,  to join Facebook.
    These were all people who were contacts on that email account.
    I did some Googling and found that this was typical of Facebook.

It was when they started suggesting I invite contacts from my other email accounts to join Facebook, that I immediately cancelled my registration.

I am sure it was all a coincidence and Facebook weren't able to access other parts of my PC and I was worrying about nothing , but I need my PC security more than I need Facebook.

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    micci_man said:

again, not bashing

I've got it but I don't use it like some. I do use it to keep up with some family but I've got so many different things in my Facebook account that if someone expects me to see something important from them through Facebook then they've set themselves up for disappointment. I use my Facebook to keep up with certain user groups that I'm interested in, which traditionally post more than the average person, so it drowns out the occasional poster. Yes, I could filter/unfollow some of them but that's not what I'm using it for. I like seeing the pictures and videos of the fish, deer, elk, turkeys, etc. that come from conservation groups like RMEF, NWTF, Wild Sheep Foundation, BHA; clothing manufacturers like KUIU, First Lite, Sitka; custom elk and turkey call manufacturers;  boat user groups (Bluewater, Cape Horn, World Cat). You dang sure better tag me if you expect me to see it!

Another pet peeve for me (aside from expecting me to use Facebook for all thing important about someone's life) with Facebook is when it comes to birthdays. I get sending birthday wishes via Facebook if you don't have their phone number. But if you've got their number then, at a minimum send them a text; even better would be to actually pick up the phone and call them. So if you're getting Facebook messages from me, it's because I don't have your phone number or you would be getting a text or phone call. Most of my close friends, even those I have on Facebook as well, send me a text or call in addition to Facebook.

Yes, I'm guilty of having long text conversations with folks when we could just as easily pick up the phone. Yes, communication with many of the younger generation is awful (I've got a prime example of a 21 y/o that is awkward to converse with). No Facebook and text messaging doesn't help the situation. Keep it in mind what it really is and don't try to use it for something that it's not and all will be good!

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,674 Admiral
    edited August 2018 #17
    i joined about a half dozen fishing forums but I really only visit about three of them on a regular basis. I am not a member of facebook, twitter, instagram or any other similar social media stuff. I did, however, get suckered into "linked in" years ago but never once have I used it for anything.  I don't need to know everything about anybody and don't need anybody to know everything about me.

My fishing buddy is on facebook and sometimes he posts pictures of our catch. One of my sisters is a "facebook friend" of his and then she will share the photos with some other family members and I will get a phone call. "I see you caught a lot of fish (or lobster)(hint hint) the other day."  

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Mullet said:
    micci_man said:

again, not bashing

No different than here, just on a larger scale.

I can sort of agree about the no different than here part but yes, a much larger scale.

I was unaware people use FB the way 'foo does. Shows how much I know about it.

I know one thing..... The guy that started it from his room has more money than me! But, that's not always a bad thing LOL.

Yes, Tommy many groups for fishing and hunting. That is the other reason I bother with it. In 3 flyfishing and flytying groups, 4 various boat racing groups, predator hunting show, du  and quite a few more. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,370 AG
    i joined about a half dozen fishing forums but I really only visit about three of them on a regular basis. I am not a member of facebook, twitter, instagram or any other similar social media stuff. I did, however, get suckered into "linked in" years ago but never once have I used it for anything.  I don't need to know everything about anybody and don't need anybody to know everything about me.

My fishing buddy is on facebook and sometimes he posts pictures of our catch. One of my sisters is a "facebook friend" of his and then she will share the photos with some other family members and I will get a phone call. "I see you caught a lot of fish (or lobster)(hint hint) the other day."  

Yeah sometimes being tagged in posts can hurt you.  Someone asks to do something and you say you can't because you are catching up on housework or something boring, then you get tagged in a post reeling in fish and having fun and they see it.   

Yeah, i chose to go fishing over spending time helping you clean out your *****ing storage unit or helping you paint, or coming to your baby shower.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Linked in is for bizness contacts or was. Google+ is a new elephant in the room. 
    Linked in to me is the chain in my toolbox. It's up for contract work too LOL
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,115 Captain
    I have FB, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.  FB is my go to read in the morning while having coffee, right after checking this place.  Occasionally post to Instagram and cross post to FB and Twitter.  I have a work account for Twitter as we were asked to make sure we had a social media presence to promote our department and the good things happening therein.

Mostly family and real-life friends on FB.  I don't accept random friend requests.  I sold a boat and a truck in the last 10 days through the "Marketplace" sections I'm a member of.  Also keep up with Ande through Carolina Skiff Fans/Owner's group.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,798 Captain
    I don't have any any of that crap.
    I do a little linked in.  Not much.  No Facebook.   They are building a Facebook server storage place near me.  Social circle/ newton county.   4 billion dollar project in 4 stages.  Would like to get a job there I think.
    They are already hiring maintenance staff. And the dirt ain’t moved. 
  • HubcapHubcap Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    None for me but this forum, and I do good to communicate here.  Wife was on FB for a while but with her large family, there were inevitable frictions and she finally dropped it.  It floors me how much info can be collected from casual computer and phone usage and FB just puts that on steroids.  I'll admit I'm as or more likely to text than talk.  
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,585 Admiral
    Facebook can be useful when checking out employee apps.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,053 Captain
    The only social media that I use is this site, GON, Big Bend FF and The Hull Truth. I visit this site and The Hull Truth the most and use mostly just to divert my attention from work for a break. I do pick up a lot of tips about various things from all the sites mentioned and I also get a lot of info on current events in the news. The posters on all of the sites do a great job of picking out the topics that are of interest to me.  I have been looking into getting a Facebook and Instagram  account to use to promote a small business. Haven't pulled those triggers yet though.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    I like FB and it has helped me reconnect to old service buddies scattered all over the country.
    THe Messenger App is easier to use than texting to me and I use it a lot.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Lot of dirt moved already.   Going in Stanton Springs beside Shire/Baxalta.   I saw some jobs for High up Managers but no maintenance yet.   I am hopeful to find info and land one of said jobs. Any info appreciated