Home Off Topic

college football vs pro football

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
Which, if either, is better

college football vs pro football 41 votes

College
68%
fins4mepottydocTarpon65Old DogSAENoleGardawgcadmanGreelyferris1248SloughTarponatorwahoowacker01SC53cracker4112mrblugiltreemanjohnlakemanhatcityLiveLineMud Ranger 28 votes
Pro (NFL CFL)
4%
Bimini Twistedkellercl 2 votes
both are equally cool
9%
dolfanjoeyfrankMGTeacherSoda Popinski 4 votes
both are equally bad
12%
restlessnativeFishInFLBuford CletusSLW210Enyar 5 votes
i like beer (obligatory)
4%
Gary S1outlaw 2 votes

Replies

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    both are equally cool
    imo both have good points and bad
    the atmosphere in a college stadium beats an nfl team, but the level of play by the pros can be phenomenal
    both have a problem with a culture of mistreatment of people outside the culture that is often excused by programs looking at the bottom line
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    edited August 2018 #3
    Pro (NFL CFL)
    Pro by a looong shot.  I cannot stand how college football works.  I still think Central Florida deserved a shot at the title.  As did Boise State years ago.  I'll watch college when they decide to have a legitimate playoff system.  

I get Central Florida is a small school 'who didn't play anybody.'  Yet the two teams in the title game both lost to Auburn...  Central Florida took out Auburn in their bowl game.  I just think the system is rigged for the big teams and I don't like it.  The NFL is great, a tiny city like Green Bay has as much chance of winning as a major city like New York.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    College
    College by a mile. In all fairness, not having a pro team instate influences my opinion. 
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,407 Captain
    College
    college games-they are fighting for their future
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    As I was searching I saw A book that said "football rules for dummies."
    As far as I consider, there's no such thing.

It's played at A different pace. College is easier to read.
    Traditions vary from state to state.

You can think of it this way. ;)

An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
    (a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and
    touches the ground with any part of his body. other than
    his hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner
    touches the ground. A runner.

The down by contact rule does not apply to the college football
    ranks. Any collegeball carrier who falls to the ground on his own
    is considered down, and the play is over. In the NFL, a ball carrier
    needs to be touched to be considered down.

It started in 1992, when the International Basketball Federation first allowed NBA players into the Olympics.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    College
    NFL lost me with their kneeling B.S.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    both are equally bad
    kellercl said:
    Pro by a looong shot.  I cannot stand how college football works.  I still think Central Florida deserved a shot at the title.  As did Boise State years ago.  I'll watch college when they decide to have a legitimate playoff system.  

I get Central Florida is a small school 'who didn't play anybody.'  Yet the two teams in the title game both lost to Auburn...  Central Florida took out Auburn in their bowl game.  I just think the system is rigged for the big teams and I don't like it.  The NFL is great, a tiny city like Green Bay has as much chance of winning as a major city like New York.  
    Completely agree!
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,434 Admiral
    edited August 2018 #12
    The liberal media will tell you that the protest and kneeling has nothing to do with the Down ratings. I don't give a s*** I like football and follow the Dolphins and the hurricanes and always will, even though I'm sick and tired of there money sure miss my 70s dolphins with Greasy and my 80s dolphins with Marino, oh the good old days when you read a newspaper the next day to see what happened. That was back when players and coaches stayed with the team and you had a tie to the team yourself. I'm sick and tired of players in pro sports moving on every chance they get.. PS voice to text sucks.. lol

I know all about Dan the man and the Miami Marinos!

If I pull down my pants will you be able to tell if I’m Jewish.

What does that mean?

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,123 Captain
    edited August 2018 #14
    College
    kellercl said:

And the Bulldogs beat the heck out of Auburn in the SEC Championship game. If one of the NFL teams only played CFL teams would you think they should get into the Super Bowl? Because that’s pretty much the difference in talent between UCF’s schedule, and playing in the SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc.
    Put A tattoo on him.

What happened when you found out?

We cried!

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,013 AG
    College
    College.  

I don't like the NFL management or owners. 

The players are great athletes.  I follow the careers of former Bulldogs in the NFL but don't really care about the success of any particular team.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Two years ago would say  NFL - Waiting to see if the protests continues.... College is pretty exciting on its own. Not near the fan I was a few years ago... If the NFL went away - I'd be fine.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 554 Officer
    College
    What Swampwalker said, "if the NFL went away I'd be fine." None, not one, of my friends watches pro football anymore.
    Street football, also known as backyard football or sandlot football, is a simplified variant of American football primarily played informally by youth. It features far less equipment and fewer
    rules than its counterparts, but unlike the similar touch football, features full tackling.

Not enough players. Let's play indian bases.
    both are equally bad
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:

And the Bulldogs beat the heck out of Auburn in the SEC Championship game. If one of the NFL teams only played CFL teams would you think they should get into the Super Bowl? Because that’s pretty much the difference in talent between UCF’s schedule, and playing in the SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc.
    BS. If that’s true why won’t any “NFL” teams schedule an easy win against UCF?   Because they are afraid to lose.   It’s all about money and keeping others out of the club.
  • mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 834 Officer
    College
    19 days and counting.................
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    College
    So far, we have a clear winner, unless, some Pro voters were intimidated at the voting booth. 
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    edited August 2018 #23
    both are equally cool
    They're all winners 
    There was no right or wrong answer
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    College
    Not everyone can win a trophy frank
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,013 AG
    College
    I like the unpredictability of college ball.

They are still young enough to make dumb mistakes.

Keeps it interesting. 

and last but not least.

Better cheerleaders!

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,513 AG
    both are equally cool
    For all you Dolphins fans

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2018-miami-dolphins-1828247902

Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,123 Captain
    edited August 2018 #27
    College
    FishInFL said:
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:

BS. If that’s true why won’t any “NFL” teams schedule an easy win against UCF?   Because they are afraid to lose.   It’s all about money and keeping others out of the club.
    When has anyone turned them down? Which team was it? No one is afraid of them. Y’all act like they have been this great football team for a long time. One whole season is not a long time. Fresno State was really good for a couple years. Heard anything good about them lately?
    both are equally bad
    pottydoc said:
    FishInFL said:
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:

When has anyone turned them down? Which team was it? No one is afraid of them. Y’all act like they have been this great football team for a long time. One whole season is not a long time. Fresno State was really good for a couple years. Heard anything good about them lately?
    1. It's not in alabama's or whomevers best interest to play an upcoming non p5 team for a potential loss.  They would rather play a mercer and get the super easy win.   So maybe not afraid but it isn't smart all risk - little reward for right now vs a mercer no risk - same reward. Our AD is trying to get in a P5 conference and get good games, it just isn't that easy

Well a long time is tough as they have competed way less than most state teams, but they have done well for past several years.