Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Another wrong side report - August 4, St. Mary's

Wendell and I stopped to get bait and were at the jetties by 8:30 - dead low tide - waiting for some clear water and movement.  My first bait in the water produced a ladyfish that was very big and acrobatic.  Second cast...same thing.  We moved a bit and I started to see the right color water.  That produced the first redfish of the day.  He was small, but fiesty.

I caught 7 about this size throughout the day...anywhere from 11-13 inches.  The water started moving a bit and I hooked up again with something that was pulling drag like it wasn't even aware it was hooked.  It started running for deeper water so I thought it might have been a shark.  About 5 minutes later, it finally showed itself the first time and I realized it was an over slot red.  He was FUN though.  We got him in the net, took a quick picture, and released him unharmed.

We fished on until almost high tide, but at 1:00. we'd had enough.  Only undersized trout. more ladyfish, 1 short flounder, and a short black drum were caught.  Other than a couple of whiting and some decent sized croakers that is.  Sometimes, you just gotta dance with the one that brung ya.  I kept a few of the croakers and whiting.  We had them for supper last night.  They were delicious!  And just enough for Lora and me with no leftovers.

It was a day on the water with my best friend where everything about the boat worked like it should and we got home safely.  That makes it a GREAT day as far as I'm concerned.

Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Nice - one of my favorite meals! Reminds me, I need to learn someone's favorite hush puppy recipe....
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,049 Moderator
    Nice day Brad. It doesn't take as many fillets for supper since those boys got on their own. :)

Who had that great hush puppy recipe here? He used to make them at the bash. A long time ago.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• JTRJTR Posts: 1,182 Officer
    That's a good day and a great dinner!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,049 Moderator
    Nice day Brad. It doesn't take as many fillets for supper since those boys got on their own. :)

Who had that great hush puppy recipe here? He used to make them at the bash. A long time ago.
    I believe it was Tin Can.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• killswitchkillswitch Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Nice day indeed, with a good meal to top it off.  On a side note, you ever troll the beach on Cumberland for trout? That can be productive at times.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,999 Captain
    edited August 2018 #7
    killswitch, I've never done it, but folks fishing the washouts back in May were boating huge trout.  As for the trolling, I don't venture outside the rocks much with my skiff, but I could probably do it on the right kind of days.  I'd need to learn the tricks from someone who knew how.

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,652 AG
    Nice!!
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 645 Officer
    Well done guys. Are you fishing the south Cumberland jetty?
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,999 Captain

That's the truth!  

Kevin, we were fishing the North Jettie.....at the South end of Cumberland Island.
  • killswitchkillswitch Posts: 112 Deckhand
    killswitch, I've never done it, but folks fishing the washouts back in May were boating huge trout.  As for the trolling, I don't venture outside the rocks much with my skiff, but I could probably do it on the right kind of days.  I'd need to learn the tricks from someone who knew how.

Same here, has to be good conditions in my 17 key west. We don't very often, but if we are down there and the conditions good, we will give them a try. Good thing about it, if the fishing is slow, you can always anchor up and get out on the beach or in the water and cool off.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Great report FF!
    God, save the South!
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Nice report, FF. That's some good groceries,,,
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish