CK-8/11 Sick July - August Reds

It was a bad July. Started off with a stomach virus. Haven't been that sick in many years. Like food poisoning but for 3-4 days. Still dealing with it. Then caught a summer cold a couple weeks later. Got to fish one day in July and didn't catch anything. 
 Today we got out around 1230 after the rain and the reds weren't hitting the cut mullet in the usual holes. So my wife throws on a shrimp and got one so I put on a Gulp shrimp and that seemed to be what these smaller reds wanted. Caught 8 between 18-20". No big ones so no pics. Wife got a nice black drum also. I had a hit that got cut off on something. Leader was frayed halfway up. 20 minutes later my wife reals in a red with frayed leader and my jig sticking out its throat. Dude was still eating. I'm having a lot of reds swallowing my jigs heads and having to cut them off. Do circle hooks work or do they just swallow them also? I just use jighead on everything. From cutbait to shrimp or throw a Gulp on. No rerigging.
Grasshopper

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,622 Captain
    Circle hooks work great for red fish. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,461 Captain
    Use non-offset circle hooks. The ones with the offset points get caught in the redfish's crushers.  The flat ones will usually pull right out of their stomachs and get stuck in the corner of the mouth. 

A chunk of ladyfish or mullet fished unweighted on a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook is typically the best way to catch redfish starting about this time of year. Cast close to a rocky point and let the current move the bait. There is less chance of the bait getting hung up on a rock with a circle hook. If the bait does get hung up, wait for the pinfish to pick at it and free it up.