Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pineda Boat Ramp

Any word on Pineda boat ramp?  Are they still working on it?

Replies

• Cracker Jack 45Cracker Jack 45 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    yes, looks like very little progress.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,987 Admin
    yep, still dredging but the work area looks like its getting smaller.  Curious what the plan to do with the boat parking area.  They appear to be piling up all the dredged sand, silt and rock in the that area and it is now raised about 3' over the road.
    Mark P. Wilson
    USCG 100t Master, Assist Tow
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS, ABYC, IAMI
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc. 
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,823 Moderator
    I wondered what they were doing there the last few times I drove by.
    smilie_dance.gif
  • JmikeJmike Posts: 17 Deckhand
    For all of the armchair quarterbacks out there speculating, the boat ramp will be closed until October. They are dredging out the turn basin and a 1400' channel 6' deep, moving the rocks out of the middle of the turn basin/channel and replacing the docks and channel markers. The pile of dirt you see is drying out so it can be transported over the road to another spot. The parking will be restored like it was.

This project has been on the books since 2013 and BC Parks & Rec. finally got the permits and the green light this past March. Permitting involved 4 separate government agency's, ( US Army Corp Of Engineers, SJWMD, FWC and USCG) so one can understand the bureaucratic delays involved. 

With the permitting process taking so long they went with a 2013 Hydrographic Survey. Since 2013 we have had hurricanes and storms that have blown in sediment and sand.The average depth of the water at survey time was 4'. In 2018 it is now 2.5' to 3' close to the ramp and in the channel. That's a lot of extra material to remove. Don't forget the new depth will be 6'.

You may ask yourself why not do a more current survey? The answer is if they did it would have to go back to those same agency's for review wasting even more time so they went with what they had.

My suggestion to people is to use the ramp in Cocoa Village or Eau Gallie until POW/MIA ramp is open again.

• HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Good to know!  Thank you for the informative answer!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,263 AG
    It sounds like it will be a big improvement for bigger boats. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Thank you for explaining the bureaucracy
    and hurdles the county parks have to navigate. 

It it will be a fine place to launch when complete.

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • rwatersrwaters Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info. 
  • ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    Is this the ramp at US1/Pineda in the Indian River?
  • ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    thanks Hunting.  So you're going to love this on the broken record front from me -  :) the reason i asked....maybe Jmike can pipe in with all the facts....

I remember when they built that ramp 13...15ish years ago.  It took forever and the construction was halted for a long time in the middle of the project.  Once I finally launched there, I ended up finding the the big pile of rocks (coquina) that you basically launch into and have to navigate around.  At the time, it was not marked.  Was going barely a putz and no damage, but that left me thinking who in their right mind would design a ramp this way....

I called the county the next week to find out why in the hell they would put a ramp right in the middle of a rock bed.  Guy at the parks and rec was super nice and informative and the gist of it is that the contractor botched the original location which was supposed to be more to the Southeast where it was clear from the coquina.  Of course, you would think the county would be more on top of it and get that corrected before the construction was that far along, so not sure if now....13-15 years later this is now fixing that blunder.  
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Not surprised at all.  Brevard county is one of the worst run governments I have seen.
  • JmikeJmike Posts: 17 Deckhand
    Chad said:
    thanks Hunting.  So you're going to love this on the broken record front from me -  :) the reason i asked....maybe Jmike can pipe in with all the facts....

I remember when they built that ramp 13...15ish years ago.  It took forever and the construction was halted for a long time in the middle of the project.  Once I finally launched there, I ended up finding the the big pile of rocks (coquina) that you basically launch into and have to navigate around.  At the time, it was not marked.  Was going barely a putz and no damage, but that left me thinking who in their right mind would design a ramp this way....

I called the county the next week to find out why in the hell they would put a ramp right in the middle of a rock bed.  Guy at the parks and rec was super nice and informative and the gist of it is that the contractor botched the original location which was supposed to be more to the Southeast where it was clear from the coquina.  Of course, you would think the county would be more on top of it and get that corrected before the construction was that far along, so not sure if now....13-15 years later this is now fixing that blunder.  
    If you recall in the middle of construction we had the 2004 back to back hurricanes. That damaged the dock/ramp and they had to close it while repairs were being made. Basically build it again! 

As to the project happening right now the ramp stays the same, the coquina ledge stays where it is with new warning markers. The rock pile that was in the middle of the old channel has been relocated. From the end of the ramp to the rock ledge you have about 90' of deep water before you crash into the rocks.

I launched my boat there before (Pro-Line 251, 31' from pulpit to motor). It was tight but I managed with no problems, just have to be aware. It's not the best ramp for longer boats but if you got the skills......