Statute of Limitations is up Boys..

13»

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,879 Admiral
    surfman said:
    A bunch of mullet netters tried that occupational switch in Steinhatchee back around that time. Could have worked except when the guys are suddenly driving around a fishing village in a brand new Cadillac, it raised a few eye brows, to say the least.
    My family owned property in Horseshoe Beach around the corner since the late 40s when they returned from WWII. Shrimpers would go out for a couple of days with no ice. Millions were made. All of Dixie county was arrested in a sting

We use to watch barges kicking off square grouper while we were out fishing
    Remember the big white blimp shaped balloon that was tethered at about 1000 ft?
    Everyone thought it was for surveillance.....
    That tether made a great snatch rope.
    Fat Albert..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Grew up on Marathon in the mid 70s - late 80s.  This was the good ol' days of Key West "Bubba Busts" (Mayor, police, etc., busted) and even some Islamorada Coast Guardsmen were caught trafficking cocaine.
    Several guys from high school did federal time (all reformed and model citizens/business owners).
    We had a copy of the FLIR video of one of them getting busted.  It was recorded from a CG jet and you could clearly see them throwing packages over board while trying to evade in rough seas in a trap boat.  The video captured their boat very nearly being run over by a foilborne USN Pegasus.
    I spent many days and nights at the Overseas, used to rent a room behind the bar..

Most of the guys I knew stayed away from the coke traffic as the penalties were much more severe than pot..
    I remember Alcee Hastings (federal judge in that district) famous line in the courtroom  "I am tired of all you blue jean wearing millionaires cluttering up my court".
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,939 Captain
    fins4me said:
    Sad day when folks brag about being drug smugglers. 
    I'm not impressed...he never said how much he got paid. 200 lb is not much.....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,598 Admiral
    cadman said:
    fins4me said:
    That may be the biggest thing they have to brag about. Don't take it away from them. 

I guess we could share our younger experiences about little Bobby making the Pop Warner Flag Football Team...Now that would be Cool
    Some of us Did Not live boring 3 kids  and a Volvo Soccer Mom that's now 300 pounds life
    Some of us Went Commando....winning...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,668 Captain
    cadman said:
    fins4me said:
    That may be the biggest thing they have to brag about. Don't take it away from them. 

I guess we could share our younger experiences about little Bobby making the Pop Warner Flag Football Team...Now that would be Cool
    Some of us Did Not live boring 3 kids  and a Volvo Soccer Mom that's now 300 pounds life
    Some of us Went Commando....winning...
    Again....nothing to brag about. But you don't get it....Losing....
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,522 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    you really don't know much, do you?

More than you want me to know. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,838 Admiral
    The girl at D Icks sporting goods let me use the 3 day only 20% off coupon on Thursday BEFORE the sale officially started.  And since the sale has ended there's nothing anyone can do about it HAHAHAHAA.   

WINNING!!!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,989 Admiral
    200 pounds of 1985 weed is probably like 200 ounces of today's super weed.  Just load up the kids in the RV and drive out to see the Grand Canyon, via Colorado.
    23895.gif
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,816 Admiral
    Golfito, C.R. still has a large amount of smuggling passing thru. Normally the U.S. Coast Guard and Navy patrol well offshore to intercept fishing boats and makeshift submarines carrying drugs out of South America heading north. Once intercepted by U.S. the Costa Rican Coast Guard is notified and they seize the drugs and smugglers. It is quite common to see the seized boats tied up in the port and drugs awaiting incineration.  It is easy to recognize the successful "fisherman" driving new trucks etc. When they get caught the penalties are much less than in the states.
    Deo Vindice
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,472 Officer
    fins4me said:
    Explain.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,999 Captain
    surfman said:
    A bunch of mullet netters tried that occupational switch in Steinhatchee back around that time. Could have worked except when the guys are suddenly driving around a fishing village in a brand new Cadillac, it raised a few eye brows, to say the least.
    Are you talking about the Steinhatchee Seven? They got busted in the 70s, not 1985. Old Mr. Stansel evaded the police for the rest of his life living under a different name in Australia until he died in a car wreck a few years ago. His sons are both in prison now for smuggling coke I think, but one had evaded police for a couple of decades while living in Alaska while, get this, being married to a police officer. I still see Steve Lamb every now and then kicking around St. Pete Beach. 
    edited August 6 #73
    Yes , those guys were form St. Pete I believe but having been from St. Pete they would have needed some help to land anything off the "road to nowhere", the water is extremely shallow in that area with a few tidal creeks that can get you to shore but you gottta know that area like the back of your hand. I have seen some old articles from other papers local to the area and there were others involved local to that area. The guy that died in Australia, maybe he is one of the Dixie county locals, that I am not sure of but, there are people in that area that saw what was happening and spoke up. Who really knows all the facts, I bet even Steve Lamb doesn't know all the facts on what gave them away. My understanding though is they got stuck in low tide at one point and the feds were able to catch them in the act the one time that mattered.

The names I have read about were not mentioned in Steve Lambs stories. I cannot find the old articles I am referring to (saw a paper copy from my neighbor), a google search only brings up Steve Lambs story and there is a lot missing from that, you gotta buy the book, other sites want you to pay, not going to do that for info that might not be worth the money.
    Tight Lines, Steve

this is a fun read.

http://bittersoutherner.com/reefer-beach-weed-smugglers/#.W2iK4lVKh6s

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/501/208/254873/ This article has some interesting stuff in it too. But, still missing the names I’m looking for. I am trying to find the name Stewart? Any info on that name in the Jena/Steinhatchee area? They named a city after him? Stewart City, it is on the sign as you approach Steinhatchee but, it is nowhere? I think it is a joke the state is playing? I really don’t know about this and I'm trying to find out but no one is talking. Maybe it is a bad joke. :)

Tight Lines, Steve
    surfman said:

this is a fun read.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/501/208/254873/ This article has some interesting stuff in it too. But, still missing the names I’m looking for. I am trying to find the name Stewart? Any info on that name in the Jena/Steinhatchee area? They named a city after him? Stewart City, it is on the sign as you approach Steinhatchee but, it is nowhere? I think it is a joke the state is playing? I really don’t know about this and I'm trying to find out but no one is talking. Maybe it is a bad joke. :)

surfman said:
    Are you talking about the Steinhatchee Seven? They got busted in the 70s, not 1985. Old Mr. Stansel evaded the police for the rest of his life living under a different name in Australia until he died in a car wreck a few years ago. His sons are both in prison now for smuggling coke I think, but one had evaded police for a couple of decades while living in Alaska while, get this, being married to a police officer. I still see Steve Lamb every now and then kicking around St. Pete Beach. 
    Bubba Capo was from Cortez, Bubba died in 96 or 97..
    Bubba was a good man as is his son.
    surfman said:

this is a fun read.

Nevin Stewart died a couple of years ago.
    He was Finest Kind .

MR. NEVIN M. STEWART, 87, of Jena, Florida, passed away Thursday, June 17, 2014 at the VA Medical Center in Gainesville, Florida.

Mr. Stewart, a lifelong resident of Jena, served in the United States Navy as a member of UDT, Unit #30 (underwater demolition team, often called frogmen.) He worked for Buckeye in the power house until retiring to pursue porpoise capture and commercial fish spotting. He later retired with Raffield’s Fisheries in Port St. Joe, FL He was a longtime pilot, 52 years, using his skills to spot and capture porpoises for use all over the world. One of his major accomplishments was that he captured 5 of the 6 albino porpoises ever in captivity. He enjoyed riding around with his puppies and spending time in nature. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Jena.

He is survived by daughters, Karen (John) Callahan of Sanford, FL, Ina (Jim) VonStein of Jena, FL, Elaine (Justin) Davis of Jena, FL and Danita (Ted) Deacon of Jena, FL; sister, Leona Pitts of Monticello, FL; 8 grandchildren, 24 great grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren.

A graveside memorial service was held at Mt. Olive Cemetery on Sunday, July 20, 2014 at 2:00pm with Rev. Vaughn Farnell officiating. A visitation was held at the funeral home on Saturday evening, July 19, 2014 between the hours of 5 and 7pm.

edited August 7 #77
    That is probably the guy, In the article I saw there was something about a guy named Stewart that basically alerted the authorities as to what was going on and where, to help with the bust. I am only going by memory from what I read in the article like I said so, I could be off. I am just wondering how the name Stewart City came about, there isn't much about it but it is on the road sign as you approach Steinhatchee. Maybe I'm just letting my imagination run away with me but I was thinking it was a poke at the people that were on the wrong side of the law in that small community. Or it could be just a simple honorary thing for a nice guy. I have asked people in the town and they just look at me like they have no idea what I'm talking about, they don't even know it is on the sign most of the time. I will try to snap a picture next time i go by it. The old guy that lived in the area since 1977 and was next door to me passed away unfortunately a couple years ago or I would ask him, he probably knew the guy.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    Nevin did federal time.
    nobody really talks about it much..

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,941 Moderator
    ANUMBER1 said:
    nobody really talks about it much..

It happens. Doesn't mean a person isn't a good guy. 
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,870 Captain
    The Steinhatchee boys and Perry boys were a good lot. Middle of the night meetings in the pine forests on dirt roads off of dirt roads with tons of product and hundreds of thousands of dollars done by flashlight, and no one got hurt, robbed or even argued. It was just business.
    A few got nabbed, most did not. Best thing it was north of the ag inspection stations.
    F the feds
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,562 Captain
    surfman said:
    Seems I remember that place.  It had a 10 ft. fence with 3 strand barb wire around it.  I think this was in the 70's though.  I only went there twice if my memory is correct..
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,004 Captain
    edited August 9 #83
    I have heard all those Dixie county drug smuggling stories. I know nothing. I did hunt with some of the locals by invitation. They killed 30 deer. One legal on management land. The locals ruled . They hunted for food and left alone. This was 1970.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,598 Admiral
    First thing I heard when I bought my Camp in Taylor County was , You ain't from around here..
    Just spent a week with them fishing down here where I live. ..Worked out well.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
13»