Home Off Topic

chicken fried steak theory

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
in Oklahoma one of the menu staples is chicken fried steak and the largest ethnic heritage group in OK is of German heritage 
it's very possible that chicken fried steak is a derivative of schnitzel 

what do you think 

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,564 AG
    I think therefore I am.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,037 AG
    I think every hour should be happy hour.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    As evidenced by my posts I don't think much so I am out on this one.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,065 AG
    edited August 2018 #5
    I wasn't aware that chicken fried steak originated in Oklahoma, but I think you're on to something with schnitzel...yet it always seemed closer to milanesa to me.

They serve a similar dish in the far east, but it is served dry.  I cannot recall the name.

Is it too early for lunch?  I'm hungry now.  :)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,072 AG
    Last year we were on a hunting trip and we stopped in Savannah GA on our way up and had dinner at chilis, i was foaming at the mouth for their CFS but they took it off the menu.   Haven't been back since, theirs was good.   Took up the whole plate.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    Oh, why not. I'm hungry too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,884 AG
    I had a CFS samich for breakfast.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,564 AG
    Go to a Cuban restaurant and order bistec empanizado, which is palomilla (thin cut sirloin) steak marinated in lime and garlic first before breading with cracker crumbs. Good stuff. Not sure if the Germans went to Cuba though.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    edited August 2018 #10
    frank said:
    in Oklahoma one of the menu staples is chicken fried steak and the largest ethnic heritage group in OK is of German heritage 

what do you think 
    That's what wiki says.

I think that is a gross way to ruin an already bad piece of steak.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,558 AG
    edited August 2018 #11
    frank said:

what do you think 
    I agree...  The similarities are great. I will do a more in depth study next week in the Black Forest.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,037 AG
    Anyone ever had steak fried chicken?
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    I love a good country fried steak, I think what they say the difference between country and chicken fried is the color of the gravy. 
    mplspug said:
    Anyone ever had steak fried chicken?
    We normally pound chicken cutlets super flat, bread and fry then top it with franks red hot sauce, lettuce tomato and bleu cheese on a bun.   Super good sammich right there. 

Or you can do chicken parm with that.   I haven't had a great chicken parm sub in forever 
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 644 Officer

They serve a similar dish in the far east, but it is served dry.  I cannot recall the name.

Tonkatsu perhaps?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,065 AG
    edited August 2018 #16
    That is it.  It's made of pork in Japan.

Had something similar but chicken in Taiwan and Hong Kong from a place called Hot Star.

I really need to eat lunch now.  lol

Thank you, Bryan....Mike
    That is it.  Pork and sometimes chicken.  Rarely beef.
    a good bone in fried pork chop sandwich is excellent 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 16,192 Moderator
    I'll take a 1 1/2 " grilled bone-in pork chop over a steak any day.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

There is hardly anything better than a spatchcocked chicken fried in a large cast iron pan. Rub it with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, sage, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook skin side down on medium low covered to 155 and let sit a bit. Add a little water every now and then of the pan gets dry. Use an organic chicken, they taste better and don't stink of sulfur.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 16,192 Moderator
    edited August 2018 #20
    Cyclist said:
    There is hardly anything better than a spatchcocked chicken fried in a large cast iron pan. Rub it with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, sage, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook skin side down on medium low covered to 155 and let sit a bit. Add a little water every now and then of the pan gets dry. Use an organic chicken, they taste better and don't stink of sulfur.
    That sounds delicious. I'll add that to my recipes. Thanks. Similar amounts of each spice?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Cyclist said:
    That sounds delicious. I'll add that to my recipes. Thanks. Similar amounts of each spice?
    I mix all the spices together to taste before hand, you can personalize the amounts and only rub on as much as you want. I would start with a teaspoon of each. The "gravy" in the pan is the spice mix and chicken fat. Really tasty. My 92 yo mom saves hers and mixes it with roasted veggies.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    I know of one thing better. Country fried steak 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    edited August 2018 #23
    Jaeger Schnitzel. Nuff said. 
    And no, it has nothing to do with the liquor. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,223 AG
    It was invented in Lamesa Texas. Tell them it wasn't and you better be leaving town, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,045 Admiral
    Chicken Fried Steak is a staple in any diner here in Texas. In Georgia I grew up eating Country Fried Steak which is similar but served with brown gravy not white. Also I don't think country fried steak has as heavy crust 
    Deo Vindice
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    As bad as it is for you, Country Fried Steak, with a side of mashed potatoes, and a large glass of sweet tea, is as close to heaven as a man can get on earth. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,223 AG
    Add a side of chicken fried bacon with sausage gravy and you can die happy. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,928 Admiral
    To me it is a staple of southern diners. And I like it.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,928 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    Gonna try this asap. Similar to how I smoke them.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    edited August 2018 #30
    As bad as it is for you, Country Fried Steak, with a side of mashed potatoes, and a large glass of sweet tea, is as close to heaven as a man can get on earth. 
    You forgot the collards and cornbread. 
    Or a big cathead biscuit. 😉
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    edited August 2018 #31
    cadman said:
    It was invented in Lamesa Texas. Tell them it wasn't and you better be leaving town, 
    I have no idea where La Mess TX is, but according to the Texans it's Wiener Schnitzel
    And like many things Texan it made it's way to Oklahoma, but don't tell them that