Salt Away Use on motor and trailer brakes?

ezzriderezzrider Posts: 80 Deckhand
Use of Salt Away has been discussed in previous threads but have a few questions for discussion.  I personally have never used the product but my boating has been in freshwater.  We now have a new 22' Bennington Tritoon boat with a 2018 Yamaha 150 HP 4 Stroke with a new tandem axle boat trailer with brakes that we leave and use in a clear freshwater lake.  Our boat has not yet been in saltwater, the engine has just 22 hours and has just received our 20 hour first service at the dealer.  We intend on taking out and use in Saltwater on occasion. Probably no more that once or twice a month but who knows.  We intend on keeping this boat/trailer for a VERY long time (Can't afford another new one!).  What about flushing the brakes?   After using in saltwater we would put the boat back into freshwater at our boat ramp and run the engine as we keep the boat at our boat dock in the water.  The trailer would be immersed in freshwater also.  Would using Salt Away on the engine as well as the brakes after saltwater use be a good idea and worth it? It is a bit pricey but not as pricey as a new motor or replacing brakes on the trailer.  Thoughts.  Thanks.  

Replies

• InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Ezzrider.  I do not think it is necessary but certainly would not hurt.  I think there is a recipe someone came up with to mimick the properties of salt away.  I think it contains water, vinegar and dawn dish soap.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    rinsing the trailer with salt a way is an excellent idea !!! flushing the motor with the flush attachment,using salt a way is another excellent idea - highly recommend both !!
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • ezzriderezzrider Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Thanks.  I ordered a gallon of the Salt Away concentrate and the mixer unit off Amazon.  Was about half the price West Marine!  Will use it after each salt water trip.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,750 AG
    Just make sure you rinse it off well after.   Over time the residue can build up.   Dawn and white vinegar is definitely a cheap alternative but may not eat the salt the way that product does.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 308 Deckhand
    I also like to spray the inside of the motor with Corrision X. You should not get it on air filters or belts. I also spray steering and bolts on the outside. Keep it off the zincs. I even rinse the lower inside of the motor and reapply. 
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    If its the trailer and brakes your trying to protect, its the X# of hours the trailer sits there after launching, while your out boating, that is going to create your issues. Use A garden sprayer with SA to rinse the brakes after launching. You can rinse the trailer in the pond on the way home when you pull it.

FSD 
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,750 AG
    I also like to spray the inside of the motor with Corrision X. You should not get it on air filters or belts. I also spray steering and bolts on the outside. Keep it off the zincs. I even rinse the lower inside of the motor and reapply. 
    I coated my trailer springs with Corrosion X before I installed them in March.   Splashed them multiple times in salt water and they don't look like it at all, just hit em with a hose after but not hard enough to knock that coating off.   I like that product.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,338 Officer

Years ago some researchers tested methods to remove salt water that had dried on boat trailers after they were parked in the sun at a boat ramp for several hours... (This experiment was before Salt Away was created). These researches compared plain household water to rinse off a trailer after it was driven home, and compared that method against using a garden sprayer mixed with detergent soap. .Then they tested the metal on the trailers to see how much salt was removed by both methods. The plain water rinsing did not remove hardly any of the dried salt water.  The garden sprayer mixed with soap detergent was very successful at removing just about all of the salt that had dried on the trailer.  They also tested using a plain water rinse at the ramp just after a boat was launched. This method also removed all of the salt water before it had a chance to dry. This research was published in major fishing magazine decades ago.

Giimoozaabi