Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore Report 7/27 - Bad Water

Took a few friends out fishing out of Salty Sams Marina on Friday. Plan was to hit GH and few further off reefs, chum and try for some mangroves. Weather was awesome, water quality was the worst I’ve seen since moving here 5 years ago. Brown, murky water with dead fish of all sizes floating for miles. Put out the chum at GH reef and nothing. No baitfish no Mack’s, nothing!  Had the the chum out for 30 minutes. Never seen it so bad. Headed out about 5 more miles and actually saw brown patchy water 10 miles out!  Managed to catch a few small lanes, blue runners, etc but something just seemed way off. 
Really disappointing to spend the gas, buy the chum bait etc and see water that bad 10 miles offshore. 
What can I do as an individual to make a difference with what’s going on out there. This is really getting bad!  Thanks for any suggestions. Just want to do my part. 

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,231 Captain
    At the very least join some advocacy groups.  CCA, captains for clean water, FRA, etc...  It is crazy the millions of people that use the resource and don't at the very least give CCA $25 a year to fight for our rights.  None of us as individuals has the time, money, or power to do this on our own. 

The NRA has a zillion members and they are POWERFUL (see stand your ground and some knucklehead killing a dude in st. pete last week and didn't even get arrested). 

If we, as recreational fisherman, would do the same thing and band together, then we too could get policy implemented.  But it takes a lot of voices and a lot of money to play with the big boys.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • dodger31dodger31 Ft MyersPosts: 228 Deckhand
    I joined Captains for Clean Water a while back and I will join CCA today. Doesn’t seem like enough.  Are there meetings to attend?  Thanks!
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Tues. July 31 @Cape Coral Yacht Club @ 12:30pm  their is a public meeting with US Army Corp of Eng. , SWFL water managment and local and state officials to discuss the Lake O water releases.  It is a horrible time of day for most to attend but I will be there and I hope others can make it to support our  local communities that are devastated by the conditions of our waterways. 
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 795 Officer
    CCRIDER hit it on the head.  I will be at this meeting tomorrow raising my concerns....
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,231 Captain
    Thanks ccrider.  Glad you guys are going to that.  dodger, go to the cca web site and I am sure there are meetings and opportunities to volunteer to help on there.  Once you register, you will get emails for that stuff I am sure. I know I do.  

Can also monitor www.gulfcouncil.org to see what those guys are up to but be careful, sometimes their dribble will really tick you off... 
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013